We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HHI in early March

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
HHI in early March

Considering spending 3 days in HHI in early March on way from North Carolina to Amelia Island, Florida for a conference. We have vacationed in HHI many times years ago during the Summer. My question is what is there to do in early March? We are not golfers.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: HHI in early March

HHI in early march...hmm, well there's the beach, swimming, you could rent kayaks or go on a guided kayak tour.

Also could spend some time doing some shopping/eating around coligny/outlet mall

If you haven't been to the coastal discovery museum, thats worth checking out

I guess you're driving? If so I'd stop by Beaufort, its about 30 miles outside of hilton head and has much much more to do.

HHI can be a real snoozefest anytime of the year.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HHI in early March

"HHI can be a real snoozefest anytime of the year."

Well, aren't you just a great HHI Ambassador!

Where do you get that from???

D in Muskoka

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HHI in early March

Thanks luckytimer. We have been to HHI 15-20 times during the summer months. One of our favorite places on the East Coast. Enjoy biking, walks on the beach, tennis, etc. Looking for ideas on other things to do such as nature preserves, festivals, etc.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HHI in early March

Well if you're a Foodie or an Oenophile you might enjoy the 28th Annual Food and Wine Festival from March 4 - 9, 2013!!

Check it out:

http://www.hiltonheadwineandfood.com/

as well, check out the events calendar for March:

hiltonheadislander.com/calendar-of-events/ma…

Hope this helps,

D in Muskoka

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,926 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HHI in early March

If you have never done it, checking out Beaufort is a good option, you could do it as a day trip. Lots of history there.

Can't comment on the "snoozefest" situation!! :-D haha

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HHI in early March

Thanks endosunshine. Went to Beaufort last year and enjoyed it. We go to Charleston regularly. Is it worth taking a day trip to Savannah?

Boston
Level Contributor
833 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: HHI in early March

Yes I would suggest a day in Savannah, you can take the trolley from the visitors center when you first enter Savannah, and get on and off all day . Savannah has a great riverwalk along the river. We try to visit Savannah for a day every few years when we visit in October. We also have enjoyed spending a day in Beaufort, there is a self guided walking tour you can take. Of course biking on the beach in HH is one of our favorites and we usually try to spend part of the last day at Coastal Discovery Museum. You can also take a Gulliah tour of Hilton Head which leaves from Coastal Discovery.

Enjoy your trip

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: HHI in early March

Luckytimer, just being honest here, I live here and lived on the SC coast all my life.

HHI has only a few things going for it and most of it is honestly dull, boring.

Charleston, Savannah, Beaufort have much much much more to do, hundreds of things to do and lots of things geared for people of all ages.

HHI Is first and foremost a retirement island, its where old people go to die and yankees come to spend their vacation.

That being said though, there's still things to do in HHI for sure and some fun things, its just no where near as exciting and interesting as other locations along the SC coast.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HHI in early March

I suggest an earlier post entitled "Beware if you travel to Hilton Head" should be revisited.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g54273-i170-k48439…

You will find nearly 50 responses describing what is amazing about HHI. I am sorry that Winterface has not found the jewels of the island. I suspect Winterface enjoys a more fast paced lifestyle, in which case, HHI would not be a good choice for him. However, for anyone who has an appreciation for nature at its best, for marine life, for history, for water sports , HHI is the place for you. No need to be golfer or tennis player- lots of other activities abound.

Joanne

Edited: 9:42 am, February 11, 2013
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: HHI in early March

History? Hahaha, Please, I'll give you nature and I'll give you about 60% credit for the watersports, but history? C'mon now.

Charleston, Beaufort, even Savannah have the history of the lowcountry locked down. You won't find any real museums on HHI, you won't find any historic architecture (Unless you like brown and drab buildings built in the early 80s), historic gardens? nope, parks? nope.