We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in HH, advice on condos?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
424 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
1st time in HH, advice on condos?

My wife and I are heading to HH for the first time in May. We absolutely love Kiawah Island and Charleston, and we're very excited to explore HH, too!

My wife has a professional conference at the Omni hotel, but--for various reasons, including the bad reviews--we don't want to stay there. We'd prefer to rent a nice, updated, beach-view 1 BR condo.

We are looking at a condo on Forest Beach, but we'd love some feedback about a couple of things:

1. Is there a "best beach" we should focus our condo search around? Most of the sites (VRBO, Home Away, etc.) ask us to specify a part of the island, we're clueless!

2. Would most locations be within a 10-15 minute drive to the Omni hotel?

3. Any specific condo recommendations? Again, we'd like something very updated, nicely furnished, on the beach, with a balcony.

Thanks for your help!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
367 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in HH, advice on condos?

Check out the Sea Crest through the Vacation Company or Beach Properties of Hilton Head. It is in the North Forest Beach Area not a gated area but close to everthing.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in HH, advice on condos?

Given your conference is at the Omni, which is inside that gated community known as Palmetto Dunes, I would suggest you look at condos in Palmetto Dunes. There are many ocean front condos (or villas, as they are described here on HHI) in Palmetto Dunes that would suit your needs. Most of them will be individually owned, so , unlike a timeshare where all units are furnished exactly the same, each villa will be different with regard to furnishings and updates, even within the same villa development. Without looking at each in person, you will need to rely on the pictures on the web and the reviews from those who have stayed in that unit. If you go through an island property management company, i.e., vacation company, island getaway, etc., they will know their inventory well and can offer you choices that are in line with your wishes.

Joanne

Charlotte
Level Contributor
656 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in HH, advice on condos?

I agree - we always stay at North Forest Beach, but if I needed to be close to the Omni, I'd stay in Palmetto Dunes to avoid having to drive in and out of the Plantation. The beach is about the same.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in HH, advice on condos?

We stayed at Huntington the last time in Palmetto Dunes and loved the condos. Highly recommend. Not too far at all from the Omni. Other options would be Captain's Walk, Barrington and Villimare.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in HH, advice on condos?

Captains Walk is right next door to the Omni, but has only 2 and 3 bedroom units. the Barringtons which are a short walk away have 1 bedroom units.

Stan (hhiguy)

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
424 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time in HH, advice on condos?

Anyone know of any *updated* and nicely furnished 1-2 bedroom condos in Palmetto Dunes? Having a hard time trying to find one on VRBO and Home Away.

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time in HH, advice on condos?

We prefer to stay in Palmetto Dunes because of the beaches, quiet atmosphere & it is centrally located. 6204 Hampton Place, which is a rental of Island Getaway, was the 1st villa we stayed at. The 2nd villa was located at 3210 Windsor Court South which is a rental of Beach Properties. Both villas are 1BR, 2BA, overlooking pool & oceanfront. They are both within walking distance to the Omni.

I think I liked 3210 Windsor Court South the best but they were both great. Both rental companies were wonderful to work with & kept the properties in top notch condition.

I hope you have a great time!!!

Everywhere
Level Contributor
181 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time in HH, advice on condos?

I don't know...... I guess being from Pittsburgh, with the terrible traffic situation we have here (tunnels, etc.) I don't think of anything on the island is far away. Our condo is on the North end right on Port Royal Sound. It's quiet but the hustle and bustle of the Mid and South island is right there when we want it.

To be fair, I haven't been on the island during the PGA tornament or a major holiday but when you sit for an hour at either the Fort Pitt Tunnel or thr Squirrel Hill Tunnel in Pittsburgh not much bothers you traffic wise.

Edited: 9:59 am, February 04, 2013
Ontario
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time in HH, advice on condos?

I'm assuming that part of the conference pkg will be a gate pass so although it wouldn't be necessary to stay in Palmetto Dunes, it would be more convenient. If no gate pass is provided that could complicate access. The Windsor and Barrington complexes in Palmetto Dunes are very close to the Omni (formerly Hilton) Both have 1 bdrm 1.5/ 2 bath units with direct ocean views and lovely grounds. Villamare is also within a short walk, and has 1 bdrm units but some don't provide a full beach view. One advantage to Villamare is an indoor pool. Check either Beach Properties or Island Getaway for availability and information etc. We have found both companies very reliable, and the properties they carry are generally well furnished and maintained. It's also convenient to know that you have service available 24/7 for mechanical difficulties etc.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time in HH, advice on condos?

One problem you would encounter staying somewhere other than Palmetto Dunes is the cost of parking. last year they instituted a parking fee, similar to the one at SeaPines.

If you stay at the Omni or one of the villas, you'll get a parking pass for your stay, though the Omni will charge you for that.

Stan (hhiguy)