We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accessibility

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Carolinian
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
accessibility

I am looking at a rental at the Greens in Shipyard next summer. I use a motorized wheelchair to get around. I know there are a couple of steps to get into the condo but what about the rest of Shipyard and the island. Is it handicap friendly? Thanks.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accessibility

I believe there are many wheelchair accessible locations on the island, although not all. With regard to Shipyard, I seem to recall that they have a beach wheelchair. You would need to call to inquire about their policies to use it. The Beach Club number is: (843) 842-3507.

I know there are no steps to get to the beach from the parking area. In the summer, there is also a courtesy golf cart to take you right up to the beach access point.

The Coastal Discovery Museum has a wheelchair ramp to the Discovery House. The outside trails are not paved and may be more challenging with a wheelchair, although I have seen folks navigate them.

Many restaurants are also wheelchair accessible. Just call ahead to check on each you would be interested for dinning.

If there are other specific places, let me know and I will try to find out.

Joanne

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accessibility

Just about every one has met the requirements of access under the disabilities act. Not every condo has units that may meet your needs.

The one that i know that has handicapped units is SeaCrest Condominiums.

Stan (hhiguy)

3. Re: accessibility

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 29, 2013