We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Palms beach and golf

ontario
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Palms beach and golf

We have stayed in Palmetto Dunes and love the beach there.

Looking at Ocean Palms (Westin) in Port Royal but don't want to be disappointed by the beach. We love long walks on the beach, bike riding, watching dolphins. Have been able to do all of this in Palmetto and beach has been on the quiet side.

Will be visiting early May.

Would appreciate feedback and also any comments on weather at that time of year. We have previously been there April and October.

I would also appreciate comments on the golf at Ocean Palms as we usually play 5 times in the week.

Thanks so much

Mentioned in this post
Port Royal
Port Royal
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Palms beach and golf

I like the beach at Ocean Palms better than PD. Why? It's wider, for one thing, so during high tide there is still lots of beach front. This beach was part of the beach re-nourishment project this past March. As you walk (or bike) north on this beach, it is less crowded, too, because just past the Westin, there are only private homes along the beach front in that area. You can walk (or bike) all the way up past the heel and onto Port Royal Sound where the beach combing is pretty good, too.

I do not have first hand knowledge of the Ocean Palms Resort itself and the resort is not ocean front, but only a short walk away. I also love the Westin for drinks on their deck overlooking the ocean.

Joanne

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Palms Resort
Ocean Palms Resort
37 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Palms beach and golf

Deerfeeder: We have stayed at OPalms twice now and LOVE it. We had a two bedroom unit. When you stay there you have the use of ALL the amenities of the Westin Resort which is a real bonus. Beach access is only a 3 minute ride away and it's beside the Westin Resort As well, depending on how you are booking this, but I think you will find it true for you, when you stay at OP you have FREE golf for up to four players DAILY, you only pay the cart fee. The Port Royal Clubhouse is WOW!! You can play Barony, Robber's Row, there's another one but name escapes me, and Shipyard.

The units are very nice. I have pics if you want to pm me, I can send some to you.

Hope this helps,

Fellow Ontarian,

D in Muskoka

Oh, about the beach, its wonderful and wide. If you turn left (as you face the ocean) you will be heading north and it's very quiet and secluded, good beachcombing and a great place to do a beach photoshoot where a very large tree has turne to driftwood on the beach! That's where we did our home-made beach photoshoot.

ontario
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Palms beach and golf

Thanks to both of you for the feedback.

Have either of you played golf while there? We play up to 5 times in the week and although not overly fussy like a well kept course. Have enjoyed the Palmetto Courses and have lucked out with some discounts,.

Nice to hear from an fellow Ontarian as well!!! Winter is not far off and a visit to Hilton Head gets us through!!

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Palms beach and golf

I live here full time and play golf at least once a week. I love the Port Royal Courses, as well as the PD courses. Obviously, there are many courses from which to chose while on HHI.

Joanne

Bolton, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Palms beach and golf

Hi. just figured i come in and ask what is the cart fee for playing golf when you stay at the ocean palms. Thinking of booking for next April/May. I assume everyone must pay the cart fee.

Also do you have to set a tee time or can you wait till you get there and then just phone the day before?

ontario
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Palms beach and golf

I called and the cart fee is $35-$40 per person so I wasn't as impressed by the free golf as I might have been. It is basically half price compared to some of the other courses and not sure the courses at Ocean Palms are as nice as Palmetto from the reviews. We are probably going to stick with Palmetto.

I do have friends that have stayed at Ocean Palms and enjoyed it very much.

I have no imformation about tee times but suspect they are necessary,

Enjoy your time there!!

Bolton, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Palms beach and golf

Tks for the info Deefeeder. I have two sons 22 and 19 who actually golf better then me(85-90's usually) that were interested. Hope they will be able to go alone as a twosome. Didn't see any age restriction.

They both have worked at the local Golf courses in my area and know how to behave.

Edited: 9:33 am, November 11, 2012
8. Re: Ocean Palms beach and golf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 13, 2013