We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dinner in Savannah before proceeding to HHI

New York, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
312 reviews
Save Topic
dinner in Savannah before proceeding to HHI

Looking for a recommendation for a nice dinner in or near SAV airport before driving to Hilton Head Island. Any suggestions?

Boston
Level Contributor
807 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: dinner in Savannah before proceeding to HHI

What time of day and time of the year are you arriving in Savannah? If you are arriving late in the day or evening I would suggest driving to Hilton Head before stopping for dinner if you are a first time visitor to the island as the island is not well lit at night. If you are not familar with the area it can be confusing. We have been visiting the island for several years and I still hate driving back on to the island once it is dark even knowing the land marks.

Edited: 5:14 pm, October 21, 2012
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dinner in Savannah before proceeding to HHI

AMEN! PLEASE do not drive to HHI in the dark if this is your first time to visit. We just returned last night from two weeks on the island. We have been many times before and we still had some "close calls." Listen to the voice of reason here. If you are arriving in the early afternoon then by all means eat in Savannah, if you will be arriving after dark (it gets fairly early from now on) then grab something on the go and check in.

Hope this helps

D in Muskoka

New York, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dinner in Savannah before proceeding to HHI

Thank you both for your advice. We are first timers and the directions seemed straightforward so we had no second thoughts about driving at night. We will take your advice and dine on HHI! We are returning to Savannah in the daylight hours - any recommendations for lunch and/or dinner before heading to the airport?

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dinner in Savannah before proceeding to HHI

There are two restaurants near the airport which you can have a decent dinner. Fatz is about a mile and a quarter on the airport road past I95. This is a typical fern Bar.

Closer and a personal favorite is Sam Sneads, which is a steak house situated next to the Hawthorne Inn.

Stan (hhiguy)

New York, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dinner in Savannah before proceeding to HHI

thank you for your response - we will keep them both in mind!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dinner in Savannah before proceeding to HHI

That kind of advice is what you won't get anywhere else & is why I love TA!

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dinner in Savannah before proceeding to HHI

Since it's only about a 45 minutes drive between Savannah airport and Hilton Head, I would eat on the island both coming and going. I can't wait to get there and then don't want to leave.

Driving in the dark is not the easiest. I've been going there for over 30 years, and still miss my turn on occasion.

8. Re: dinner in Savannah before proceeding to HHI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 03, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head