We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A rainy week ahead

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
A rainy week ahead

Hurricane Isaac is going to make lots of rain for my upcoming time in Hilton Head. I am looking for fun rainy day events. My group includes ladies age 30 and age 60. We like thrift shops and book stores and cute places to eat. All ideas welcome. Driving off island is OK too.

Thanks,

B

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A rainy week ahead

Actually I think Isaac will become a Gulf storm. If we see anything it will be some rain. In a normal August, we do see some rain usually in the afternoon and evenings.

Based on your question, I'd head for Tanger 1 and Tanger 2, Lots of stores, and some restaurants too. Tanger one has some national chains, Olive Garden and Panera Bread, Tanger 2 has Nosh, which is a unpretentious eatery owned by Robert Irvine.

Depending on where you are staying, I'd check the local restaurants in your area. You can find a good guide at hhidining.com

Stan (hhiguy)

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,621 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A rainy week ahead

Don't forget to head for the Coastal Discovery Museum. They have both indoor and outdoor displays/activities, as well as guided tours. You can find out the calendar of events at: www.coastaldiscovery.org

Joanne

Connecticut
Level Contributor
361 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A rainy week ahead

Low Country Backyard is a unique place to eat. They have indoor seating if it's raining. As I recall, there is a very nice bookstore a couple of doors down in the same plaza. My wife and I spent a few hours browsing there and really enjoyed ourselves.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A rainy week ahead

My all-time favorite consignment shop is just over the bridge on Fording Island Road and worth the visit. The ladies who run it are great. As you come over the bridge, be on the lookout for Haverty's furniture store on the left. Take the very next left into a small office-looking building with a sign out front that says Mattress Outlet & Discount Furniture (or something similar). They sell furniture as well as consignments of all kinds. Great prices, great shopkeepers - what's not to like? It's rainy today.. We'll be visiting them for sure!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A rainy week ahead

Oh, two other places that are just fun to go to are an art gallery called Endangered Arts and a little gift shop off-island that I can't recall the name of.

Endangered Arts is in a strip shopping center on the ocean side of the road at 841 Wm Hilton Parkway. Very unique and beautiful art. The owners are very interesting and happy to talk about it. The Italian restaurant in the same shopping center is also quite good.

The gift shop is in a strip shopping center on the left a fair bit off the island. I found it one time when looking for an Oreck store. I can never remember the name but if you go to the outlets it's not all that much further and again the people who run it are a delight. Theyhave all kinds of cute things in the store, from pretty silk watercolor pillows and crystal to wind chimes to ties and doormats with the palmetto and crescent moon on them. It's at 1008 Fording Island Road in Bluffton.

Have fun!

HHI SC
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A rainy week ahead

The off island gift shop mentioned by Girl traveler2 is Markels.

Thrift shops I like are The Litter Box, The Bargain Box and The Church Mouse.

Old Town Bluffton has several art galleries and both The Cottage and Bluffton Barbecue are fun lunch places. If you go there be sure to walk down to the Church of the Cross on the river. it is beautiful!

Skull Creek Boathouse and Low Country Backyard are also good for lunch.

The Village at Wexford also has many interesting shops - Le Cookery, The Oilery and two nice gift shops.

Delaware
Level Contributor
96 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A rainy week ahead

I second the art galleries in Bluffton. There are some nice places for lunch. If you have any sewers, Island Quilters, just outside Sea Pines is a great shop--tons of fabric, great samples, and friendly assistance.

8. Re: A rainy week ahead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, December 15, 2013