We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are cars a must in hilton head?

michigan
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Topic
are cars a must in hilton head?

i'm considering HH for a honeymoon in late september. we'd be flying into Savannah from Michigan. I understand there is an Amtrak that goes from Savannah to HH.

once in HH, how necessary is a car? we'll probably either be staying at the Hilton Oceanfront or the South Beach Marina Inn. i've never been to HH and am not sure how spread out things really are.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: are cars a must in hilton head?

There is at least one shuttle that runs from the Savannah airport to HH. It's called the Low Country tours or something similar. The Amtrak train does not go into Hilton Head. Ask your hotel about the shuttle service.

Whether or not you will need one, depends on how much you want to go. You can rent a car either in Savannah and not bother with the shuttle or wait until you get to HH and see what you want to do.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: are cars a must in hilton head?

Grey Line runs Low Country Adventures. they provide a Van service between the Savannah airport and the Island. there is no Amtrak connection.

The two hotels you mention are in different plantations (which is how we identify our various communities). Each has a service you can use to get around with out using your car.

In SeaPines where The South Beach Marina is there is a trolley. It runs between Harbourtown, South Beach, and other places on the plantation.

In Palmetto Dunes, where the Hilton Resort is there is a Shuttle. You call them up and they will pick you up and take you to Shelter Cove with Restaurants and Shopping.

There is no charge for either method of transportation.

Stan (hhiguy)

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: are cars a must in hilton head?

There are several shuttles that serve different developments on HHI, but if you want to explore some of the attractions on the mainland (e.g. outlet malls, Beaufort, etc.) a car is really need to get to these locations. You could rent a car for a day or two when you want to explore the island.

My family has always driven down from North Carolina, so we always had our car available. Just remember, you are on vacation, so don't get frustrated when stuck in traffic on US 278.

Mentioned in this post
Beaufort
Beaufort
Coastal South Carolina, SC
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
Atlanta, GA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: are cars a must in hilton head?

I really think a car is necessary unless you plan to stay put at the Hilton and not go out to eat beyond the immediate vicinity (not a lot of selection beyond the hotel and any adjacent hotel restaurants). You could always rent bikes (very much recommended anyways due to all the great bike trails) but even with bikes it can be several miles to the restaurants you want to visit. We use our car extensively every time we go to Hilton Head, which is nearly every summer.

Also, without a car you would not be able to explore the beautifull Sea Pines plantation area (unless your resort is located there). You can use bikes to get in through a back road but they don't make it real easy on you as they want to collect the $5 daily entrace fee from you by car.

Have fun. Hilton Head is beautifull and you will find yourself wanting to keep coming back.