We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Myrtle Beach to Hilton head? How long is drive?

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
70 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
From Myrtle Beach to Hilton head? How long is drive?

We found MB plane tickets for $600, as opposed to flying into SAV/HH for 1200. HH looks more like the place for our family ( less glitzy, more natural). We are wondering about the drive between the two. Is it worth saving $600 for the ride. We live approx 14 hours away (MI), my husband has back trouble and could not drive all 14, but he could manage 3-4 hours. And are we corrrect in thinking HH is more family oriented? We love being outside, nature hikes, wildlife, biking, beach, shelling, sunsets etc...

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Myrtle Beach to Hilton head? How long is drive?

It depends on which way you go. You can go down 17, the very scenic route and it will probably take you 3.5-4 hours. You can go out to I95 and avoid lights and towns and possibly get there in a shorter amount of time.

You might want to think about the beaches around Charleston. We're @90 miles from MB. Isle of Palms might be what you're looking for. It's way (WAY) less crowded and you could see Charleston too. The Aquarium is downtown. The Seewee Nature Center is on Highway 17 just before you get into Mt Pleasant. I highly recommend this, but I am biased, lol.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,357 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Myrtle Beach to Hilton head? How long is drive?

Yes, before you make your decision on HHI, think about one of the Charleston area islands. As well as IOP there are also Kiawah or Seabrook Islands which are both very green, lots of bike trails, Kiawah has 10 miles of beautiful beach and these islands are all easy access to Charleston for day trips or dinner. Plenty of family oriented things to do in the area.

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Myrtle Beach to Hilton head? How long is drive?

I think when having to drive from an airport to a destination it is better to keep it under 1-2 hrs. Not so much when you land but for when you return. We had an 8 am flight home- had to be at the airport at 6:30. If we were in MB we would have had to be on the rode at 2:30!! YUCK!

Check out The IOP and surrounding islands-what time of year is this trip??

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Myrtle Beach to Hilton head? How long is drive?

For the future if you find the price of air high to Savannah, and are willing to drive as in driving round trip from MB, give Jacksonville a try. Its about 2 hours or so from Hilton Head. Also fares to Orlando are really cheaper then all others in the area as a norm and the drive is about 4 hours or so.

5. Re: From Myrtle Beach to Hilton head? How long is drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, February 08, 2010