We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proper pronunciation

Eastern Kentucky
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Proper pronunciation

What the proper ways to say "Daufuskie" and "Beaufort?" I don't like to sound like a dumb hillbilly when I travel.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,427 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Proper pronunciation

In most other places Beaufort is bow-fort

here it is bew-fort pronouned like pew, as in church pew. Emphasis on the first syllable. Since you are southern you may not need this additional bit of info - fort us usually pronounced furt in the south. bew-furt

Daufuskie is duh-fusky rhymes with husky, emphasis on second syllable.

Congrats on having the forethought to find out in advance, smart move!!

I'll have to remember that myself for future travel.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,256 posts
100 reviews
2. Re: Proper pronunciation

Great post, CoalTownTraveler! I'm adding that question to my travel list, too. I guess the trick is to guess which names are likely to vary. Good call!

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Proper pronunciation

Too funny! A couple of weeks ago, my mom and her friends stayed at our home on Seabrook. A couple of them had never been to the Lowcountry. You should have heard some of the pronunciations!

There was ghoul-lah instead of gull-lah; I heard Beau-fort instead of bew-furt. ed-IS-toe instead of ed-dis-toe. My teens were cringing;-)

Now what about Wadmalaw?? Where do you put the emphasis?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,427 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Proper pronunciation

Emphasis on Wad.  That one is pretty much the way it looks.Wad - ma - lawI have a business with Edisto as part of the name and have heard dreadful pronounciations!!most common is   EEEE-deeese-toewhich to be fair is how it would be pronounced IF it were spanish.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,427 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Proper pronunciation

I don't know what is going on with my postings!

Lately several of them when I post get condensed into either one big run on sentence or an endless paragraph!

Don't know if it is something I am doing wrong or just cyberspace "messing with me".

Doesn't happen everytime.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,429 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Proper pronunciation

Here's a good one...what's the pronunciation of Read & Read, a law firm in downtown Charleston?

We've had fun w/this one in our family; is it Reed & Reed or Reed & Red and so on???

Eastern Kentucky
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Proper pronunciation

I would've probably pronounced both of them wrong. Clearly, I'm a smart hillbilly for asking ahead of time.

8. Re: Proper pronunciation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, October 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head