We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Head Island vs. Tybee Island

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Head Island vs. Tybee Island

I'm planning on going to either Hilton Head Island or Tybee Island with my wife this weekend. We'll only be there for 1 night, so we can only visit one. We're looking for a really nice beach and a good nightlife (we're in our 20's). Can anyone tell me which has a better beach and nightlife. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Head Island vs. Tybee Island

Best way to describe these two ...

Hilton Head is a fine glass of wine.

Tybee is a frat party.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Near Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Head Island vs. Tybee Island

We spent a week in Hilton Head a few years ago and stopped to check out Tybee Island on our way to FL last spring.

We were considering Tybee for a family vacation in the future. Glad we checked it out first! Our 24 and 29 year olds and their boyfriend/husbands would have gone stir crazy. It's very undeveloped. There are a few very small (and a little shabby ) beach bars, a couple fast food restaurants and one very nice ocean front restaurant in the "just ok" hotel we stayed in. It's the kind of place you go to do nothing! For night life you be best served to drive into Savannah.

We weren't impressed enough with Hilton Head to ever go back there either. We had the same feeling that we've heard from several others - it's too resticted. You can't just wonder where you want because it's broken up into "plantations" and if you're not staying on that particular one, you can't just drive through or explore.

My advice would be to consider staying in Savannah ( for the nightlife) and making Tybee a side trip to spend some time on the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA