We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harbourtown Golf Links versus Palmetto Dunes Trent Jones

Pittsburgh, PA
13 posts
Save Topic
Harbourtown Golf Links versus Palmetto Dunes Trent Jones

Hello fellow golfers. I will be in Hilton Head on July 5 and I am debating which course to play. I have done extensive research on both courses and I am at a standstill. I know Harbourtown is more prestigious (as well as expensive) but is it really worth the money to play it? I have played many great courses in the U.S. so I am willing to pay. But after researching Trent Jones course at palmetto Dunes, it seems to be a great course for half the price. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

MN
Level Contributor
324 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Harbourtown Golf Links versus Palmetto Dunes Trent Jones

Cowboy, I'd be very interested in seeing the pics.

Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Harbourtown Golf Links versus Palmetto Dunes Trent Jones

Sounds like the RTJ or other Palmetto Dunes courses are worth a try. I'm taking the clubs. Maybe I'll see ya there.

New York
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Harbourtown Golf Links versus Palmetto Dunes Trent Jones

Make sure before you play that you find out the aeration schedule for any of these courses. I have been traveling and golfing here for 10 years. The courses I recommend are:

Old South, Hilton Head National (Well kept). I also recommend

RTJ @ Palmetto Dunes, the course was renovated a few years back. I dont think you would be disappointed. I played Harbourtown about 8 years ago and found it to be very challenging and well kept at the time. Tight fairways and small greens. Is it Pinehurst no2 or Kiawah Ocean, no, but if you find out the current condition and money is no object its worth it to play once. This summer I will be playing Melrose @ Daufuskie and Crescent Pointe, any info on the these courses would be helpful.

Naperville, IL
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Harbourtown Golf Links versus Palmetto Dunes Trent Jones

My family just got back from a week at HHI. We played Oyster Reef (OR), Robert Trent Jones (RTJ) and Harbour Town (HT). I thought that OR was in the best condition of the three, with RTJ in OK shape and HT very poor. The tee boxes and greens at HT were as bad as I have seen at any public facility. I played Butler National in Chicago a few weeks ago and thought that their greens were in much better condition than HT despite the fact that they were gased last fall and completly redone. The only consolation at HT was that they gave my 15 yr old son the junior rate (half). RTJ and OR was full price for him, but I was not smart enough to ask at the time.

Naperville, IL
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Harbourtown Golf Links versus Palmetto Dunes Trent Jones

My family just got back from a week at HHI. We played Oyster Reef (OR), Robert Trent Jones (RTJ) and Harbour Town (HT). I thought that OR was in the best condition of the three, with RTJ in OK shape and HT very poor. The tee boxes and greens at HT were as bad as I have seen at any public facility. I've recently played two Chicago area courses during the last few weeks and thought that their tee boxes and greens were in far much better condition than HT despite the fact that they were gassed last fall and completly redone. The only consolation at HT was that they gave my 15 yr old son the junior rate (half). RTJ and OR was full price for him. But I was not smart enough to ask for a discount at OY and RTJ.