We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from our 1st trip to HH

Centreville, VA
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Back from our 1st trip to HH

Thanks to everyone here on this board (especially Stan) my husband and I had a wonderful time in HH last week (July 7-14). We stayed at the Hilton Oceanfront Resort and from start to finish it was a first class experience. The staff was wonderful, hotel was wonderful. We didn't have the best view (it was the parking lot) but we were in the room for such a small amount of time it wasn't a big deal. We loved that it was right on the beach and especially loved the fact that it had 2 pools (one for families and one for adults only). Since we have no kids we took advantage of it, and it was so nice and quiet! We ate at the seafood restaurant one night as it was an all you can eat crab leg deal and my husband loves the crab legs. Meal was excellent.

We also took up the suggestion and went to dinner at the Old Fort Pub and it was the best meal we had down there. When I called for the reservation, the woman on the line was nice enough to give us a window seat for a nice view of the sunset. Another good meal was at Alexanders (right down the street from the hotel). We also ate at Steamers and Hincheys in the Coligny Plaza area.

We visited Harbourtown and the Forest Beach area and also got in a visit to the in-laws in Sun City. I wanted to take the boat that goes to Savannah for the day but it was in the shop for mechanical problems. We could have driven but hopefully the next time we visit the boat will be operational.

All in all it was a good trip, hot with some rain in the afternoons but it is July so it's normal. The worst part was the drive from the Wash DC area (9 hours each way). We might look into flying the next time we go.

ohio
Level Contributor
587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from our 1st trip to HH

Glad you had a good trip. How much was the crab leg dinner? Thanks.

Centreville, VA
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from our 1st trip to HH

21.95 pp (for the crab leg dinner at the Hilton)

Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from our 1st trip to HH

Glad you had a good time, it is a great place.

We are leaving Friday from the Cleveland, OH area and I'll take your 9 hours over my 12 or 13 it usually takes us. :)

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from our 1st trip to HH

Used to do the drive two or three times a year from NOVa to HHI, before we moved here permanently. so know what you mean.

Now I fly! Only problem have to take Messed Up Air (Mesa). Oh How i miss Independence Air.

Stan (hhiguy)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from our 1st trip to HH

So glad you enjoyed your trip. We also stay at (and highly recommend) the Hilton Oceanfront. As for your 9 hours of driving time, have I got a story for you. Last March Break we left Canada (we live 2 hrs north of Toronto) at 4 a.m. After 13 hours of driving we arrived in Wytheville, WV. We settled into our hotel, were in the middle of our meal at Ruby Tuesday's and my husband got a call from our tenants that they were out of heat. We finished our dinner, went back to the hotel, grabbed a very restless couple hours of sleep and proceeded to leave at 2 a.m BACK to Canada. We drove another straight 13 hours. My husband fixed the problem for our tenants and we proceeded to grab a few hours sleep and left again at 2 am the following morning and drove STRAIGHT THROUGH to Hilton Head, 19 hours. We arrived in HH at 10 p.m. So we did 45 hours of driving in 2 1/2 days. That's how much we love HH and didn't want to forego our family vacation. Our 14 yr old son is a real trooper. We had a wonderful vacation.

I guess us Canadians are a hearty lot! You have to be in order to put up with the snow and blackflies.

Take care,

D in Muskoka.

Centreville, VA
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from our 1st trip to HH

Luckytimer...wow...I'm impressed by your driving story! I think part of my problem is that I have a small sporty car that's fun to drive but not the most comfortable. I'm also impatient...

My hat is off to you!

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from our 1st trip to HH

That's why I love you whacky Canadians. Come Hell or high water nothing will stop your party!

John

Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from our 1st trip to HH

Luckytimer, was there anyway you could have callled someone else to go and fix the problem? Just curious.

chicago
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from our 1st trip to HH

hello E_M2007,

Just a follow up on the "all you can eat crab legs"

I found this:

"Come Join Us at Hilton Oceanfront Resort’s

Mostly Seafood Restaurant for All-You-Can-Eat Crab Legs both Wednesday and Friday! Only $ 21.95 Per Person "

hiltonoceanfrontresort.com/special_offers/sp…

So it was Wednesday and Friday?

How busy was it?

Do you know if it was a specific time? Or all day/night?

thanks

Centreville, VA
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from our 1st trip to HH

Greg, when we went it was Wed only for the crab leg special, Friday night was a lobster special (which we love but we already had a reservation for the Old Fort Pub and there was no way I was cancelling that)

And yes that was the price...21.95 and it was for dinner only.

Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head
Recent Conversations