We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rentals Beware..VRBO

florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rentals Beware..VRBO

I recently rented a villa on Hilton Head using VRBO, after reading lots of info on this forum raving about the website and comparing it to the rental agencies, the rates were much more reasonable but not to cheap to be true. Our villa was described as modern with upscale furnishings and the pics were designed to match the property as well as the higher price. Unfortunately, the property was not maintained as well as advertised and between the inefficient old a/c that struggled to keep the place cool in 90+ degree heat, the bugs that visited us daily dead and alive, the outdated bathrooms and kitchen that were in half working order and heavily soiled cheap carpeting, we were wishing we had rented at one of the beautiful resorts instead. The deck that I planned on relaxing myself was instead a small porch with two chairs, not suitable for dining and too buggy to enjoy, other units had smartly screened in there porches. The primary reason we chose a vacation rental was to accomodate a pet, and my advise is to leave them home and treat yourself to a modern facility that makes you feel like you are on a vacation and not cornered by someone else's lower standards. Needless to say, our increasing discomfort forced us to leave early and of course, you have no recourse with the owner since all the cash has been paid. We contacted him several times about the problems and then never heard from him again upon our departure and disappointment. Again, another downfall with renting direct from an owner. I have rented beautiful vacation homes in Europe and have yet to have any issues, what a shame. Renters beware!

Repentigny, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rentals Beware..VRBO

Thanks a lot for the advice ! Can you let me know which resort you were staying!

florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rentals Beware..VRBO

Yes, we stayed in South Forest Beach about 4/10 of a mile to Coligny Circle and 10 min walk to the beach. This is a big issue if you are traveling with any Seniors, the summer season makes this walk a bit hot for the elderly and difficult if your carrying anything to the beach. Good Luck

new york
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rentals Beware..VRBO

It is terrible that this happened to you but having a 10 minute walk to the beach was a fact you should have known before you rented. Also- we never would rent a home that allows pets- leave the pet home- they are typically run down places. I think you answered your own question- you knew the place was not a resort and as they say- especially in Hilton Head- you get what you pay for. we have rented from VRBO before and never had a problem. Next time- don't just read the advice on TA- ask some ??'s and we'sd be happy to help.Unless it was free- I would never recommend a place that's 10 minutes from the beach in SFB area- there are so many affordable one's right on the ocean or in plantations.

Don't let this sour your opinion of HHI- it's a still a great place.

atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rentals Beware..VRBO

I have only had good experiences on vrbo as well. Put a negative comment on their vrbo page so the other potential renters can be aware. Which complex was this, or was it a free standing home?

florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rentals Beware..VRBO

thanks for the advice. The villa was in the Ocean Breezes/Tree Tops Complex off of South Forest Beach Ave. Not the prettiest place on HH, but the other units looked like they maintain and clean up thier porches and windows compared to ours. I knew there would be a little walk to the beach, I figured this would help me lose a few pounds but thought I could at least drop off chairs by car. I don't see a way to post a review on VRBO and I am sure the owner would not approve a negative one, so if you know a way to do this, let me know. Right now I am just praying that I receive my security deposit back, my comfort and trust seems to be dented at this point. I am certain I will not be the only renter that has issues with this property.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rentals Beware..VRBO

I also have been successful with VRBO - rented a georgous 5 bedroom house on HHI, and it was exactly as expected. We're frequent vacationers on HHI, so we know the areas fairly well, and understood that we were a 5-10 minute walk to the beach.

Beaufort, North...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rentals Beware..VRBO

Sorry you had a problem with the rental.When i put my timeshare up for rent I judge the place where staying there are plenty I have been to,that I never recommend.I hope you do not judge all of us on your encounter.Joann

new york
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rentals Beware..VRBO

If I were you, I would post the VRBO# on this forum so people can beware.. It certainly can't hurt to try it. People post bad reviews of hotels on here constantly- I feel you should have the same right. Just don't give names.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rentals Beware..VRBO

As a poster who has mentioned both VRBO and also the Homeaway group to those on this forum, I am not surprised. I have cautioned that you need to confirm that all is as advertised. While the vast majority of advertisers on those sites are truthful, others have been known to stretch the truth.

I have seen adverts for second and third rate complexes advertised as the Best on the island. The tip off is usually the rate. It's important that you talk to the advertiser, and also look at more than one complex. Ask them what they think about other areas on the island. Usually they will say their unit is the best, but they could give you good insights .

You should also file a complaint with VRBO. Look at the ad and in your complaint explain how reality differed from what was offered. It may not help you, but it will help those who come after,

Stan (hhiguy)

florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rentals Beware..VRBO

thanks everyone, I am looking into how to file a complaint with VRBO, they don't seem to have a section for this but will email them today and find out. When looking at the ad, it clearly overstates the property. I am also hesitant to name the place until my security deposit is received, as you can imagine. In a lawsuit happy society, i am a bit apprehensive...I agree HH is beautiful and will only choose the main resorts next time to ensure the quality of lodging. It's a shame that a few negligent owners can ruin a good service. I guess this owner is more interested in profits.