We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Hilton Head

Cincinnati OH
Level Contributor
173 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to Hilton Head

I was wondering what there is to do in Hilton Head other than golfing and tanning at the beach all day? Have you been on any excursions or day trips you would recommend? This trip is actually a trip w/my inlaws in a condo they are renting. My husband and I like adventure and I am worried we are going to find hilton head boring from what I have read...

Any ideas? What about even taking a day trip to Savannah. Please give me some ideas. We will have a car there.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Falls Church,VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: First Time to Hilton Head

Aileen 679 put a smile on my face. Thanks for the link to the Crab Shack........it is great ! Especially the Rachel Ray on $40 a day spot about the Crab Shack when she was there. The web site will give a great overview with the menu, photos, and video.

I would never claim to know better then Aileen679. I have read and used her advise on many occasions and have ALWAYS found it to be reliable.

My perspective comes from that of a traveler. My wife is a Meeting Planner and makes all the event, travel and tour arrangements for about 15 professional associations and is onsite for all of the events. I travel with her for many of the events all over the world and only comment on places we have been to multiple occasions with good results. There are a few places in every town that really stand out for one reason or another and that is why I suggested the Crab Shack. It ain't fancy...........but it IS FUN and the food is good and the prices are cheap by most standards.

So Aileen679, thank you for all your great advice, it is appreciated !!

RichardLee

atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First Time to Hilton Head

You will not be bored in hilton head, there area plenty of places to look arund (sea pines, shelter cover). You could check out Beaufort. In terms of a day trip, I would suggest Savannah b/c of its proximity. Walk the squares and river street. There will be tons of resteraunts so don't worry about planning where to eat, if somthing looks cute, check out the menu and try it if you like. Also, the outlets in Hilton Head area great. If I were goign to charleston, I would at least want 2 days.

Neosho, MO
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: First Time to Hilton Head

You have been so helpful as I've searched to plan a vacation. I'm looking at the Mariott in PD and Holiday at FB. We are wanting a nice hotel and have reserved Mariott through a local travel agency and did get a break in price but of course no oceanfront but that's OK. Most important is beach and a good pool. It's my husband and 8 year old daughter. We need to decide Monday if we're taking Mariott. It looks great. Would you recommend one over the other? Mariott is probably $50 more a night. We're staying 4 nights.

One other idea was Tybee Island. But wanted beach hotel and had absolutely no idea about accommodations. Do you have any insight about Tybee vs. Hilton Head?

Thank you so much

Clueless from MO

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
499 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First Time to Hilton Head

There is lots to do in Hilton Head and surrounding areas. We like Lawton Stables for horseback riding. It takes you through the Sea Pines Forest Preserve or if you don't like horses, take a walk through the Preserve (wear long pants and a lot of bug repellent though) and you'll see gators, turtles, birds, lizards, etc. We always play miniature golf and of course the shopping!!

Lowcountry Nature Tours at Shelter Cove has great dolphin cruises. We've gone to them numerous times, our kids love the tours. My husband went sharkfishing through the South Beach Marina (Blue Water Marine) on The Shadown and had a blast. Our brother in law caught a lemon shark!

Great places to eat on the island are Truffles (Seapines Center), Aunt Chiladas, Captain Woody's, & Just Pasta.

Daytrips - Savannah of course! It's great there and we always have a wonderful experience. For breakfast, brunch or lunch try J. Christopher's on Liberty Street. We've eaten at the Boars Head Tavern along the River as well. The Crab Shack on Tybee Island does have indoor seating (that's where we sat the last time we were there since it was raining) and enjoyed it much better than outside. Another place people say is good in Savannah is Lady and Sons but we've yet to get there. Visit the Owen's Thomas house, it's beautiful! We've also gone to Beaufort and shopped at antique stores and they have quaint little restaurants as well. Take a carriage ride through town as well.

Hope this helps!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
499 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First Time to Hilton Head

Tybee vs. Hilton Head - Hilton Head all the way! Tybee doesn't have much of anything! We spent a morning there and that was it. We went to a little marine center and walked a little bit on the beach which wasn't that great. Way more to do on Hilton Head and it's nicer and cleaner...Tybee seemed to have a "carnival" atmosphere to it. My advice, stay on hilton head, go to Savannah for a day trip and breeze through Tybee Island. They do have Fort Pulaski which is interesting if you are history person but that's it.

Ohio
Level Contributor
736 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First Time to Hilton Head

I don't believe anyone has mentioned it but there is a very nice factory outlet mall just off the island with many designer stores.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First Time to Hilton Head

Actually there are two outlet centers, Tanger 1 and Tanger 2

Stan (hhiguy)

atlanta
Level Contributor
580 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: First Time to Hilton Head

I love that Marriott property and usually stay there at least once/yr. the Holiday Inn is in a great location b/c of the Tiki Hutt. However, I think the hotel is a dump. Just my oppinion. If you want to stay on Forest Beach, rent a condo over staying at the Holiday Inn.

Northern KY
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: First Time to Hilton Head

I just spent a week down there last month and have some good and bad things I would say. I am in Cincinnati too. I could tell you a lot but it would be lengthy, if you want tips let me know and you could email me or even call me.

20. Re: First Time to Hilton Head

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, September 04, 2009