We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dining questions

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
Level Contributor
579 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
dining questions

I just made reservations at Harbourmasters for July 4th. I figured this was a good place b/c I can see the fire works right after dinner. I haven't ever heard of this place in my years going to HHI. Any oppinions? Are there any other places that take reservations, who are not on www.opentable.com. Also, what is the bar (near monkey business and mellow mushroom) that has live music? I think I changed names a while back and I cannot recall the name.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dining questions

BETTER CHECK YOUR RESERVATION. HARBORMASTERS CLOSED SEVERAL YEARS AGO!!!

The current restaurant on that site is called Ocean Grill and is run by the Lowry Group which also owns the Old Fort Pub, CQ's, Boathouse, and Antonios.

Make sure you have a reservation there.

Monkey Business is the only place in Park Plaza that has live music at this time. It is mainly a singles bar. You will find music at other restaurants like the Big Bamboo in Coligny Plaza, The Jazz Corner in the Village of Wexford, or Kingfishers in Shelter Cove.

Most of the restaurants will take reservations on the island and they are recommended for the week you are there.

Go to this website http://www.hhidining.com/index.php for up to date information on local restaurants and phone numbers.

Stan (hhiguy)

atlanta
Level Contributor
579 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dining questions

You just scared me about my reservation. It is the same place. It says Harbourmasters Ocean Grill. Is this place ok? I went a place near monkey business in the fall (I think it is where wingo's used to be). Oh well, I am sure we will find plenty to do. I am definalty going to Wild Wings one night. Thanks for your help.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
798 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dining questions

I use to LOVE the Harbourmaster. Would often go 4-5 times during a stay. Went there twice in May 2005 when they became the Ocean Grill and was disappointed. Went twice in May 2006 and was VERY disappointed. I wouldn't go back there in May 2007. It's only my opinion, and places can change in a year's time, but I thought they were overpriced for poor quality, lack of presentation, and very minimal service. The view is gorgeous though.

new york
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dining questions

I have to agree- we went in April 2006 and I wasn't that impressed. the view was beautiful though. We sat outside(our mistake) and got eaten alive- when we asked to come inside they said sorry- no room! We spent a fortune and WE got eaten alive!!!

atlanta
Level Contributor
579 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dining questions

Any other suggestions in Shelter Cover? I am not impressed with Kingfisher and have been there several times. I really want to eat at Shelter Cove on the 4th because of fireworks.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dining questions

There will also be fireworks on the Intercoastal in the north island area.

There are plenty of places to eat and watch

Hudsons

Boathouse

Old Fort Pub

Charleys Crab

Sunset Grill

Stan (hhiguy)

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
798 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dining questions

Just my opinion only, but you don't go to Shelter Cove if you want "great" food. I like Shelter Cove for drinks and appetizer pickings. It's a relaxing atmosphere with good views. I totally agree with Stan(HHIguy) on his choices with the exception of Husdon's as I haven't been there in a couple of years. I went to the other 4 in May and each one was better than the next.

There's also the Italian place "Little Venice" in Shelter Cove. I have gotten good meals there because I've gone non-rush hour and requested special meals. The chef (don't know who he is) has followed my requests to a T without injecting his own tastes and they have come out perfect for me. It's not bad, if you like Italian food.

new york
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dining questions

we loved Boathouse last time we went- Oct. 2006.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
169 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dining questions

Old Fort Pub is WONDERFUL! A bit pricey, but, definitely worth it for the food, view, and atmosphere. Some of the other places might be more approrpriate depending on who the group is (family w/kids vs. couple).

atlanta
Level Contributor
579 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dining questions

Thanks for all the suggestion. I have my heart set on fireworks at Shelter Cover b/c it brings back childhood memories :) I just thought it would be easier to eat there and already be there for the fire works.