We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming, kayaking

sudbury
Level Contributor
23 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming, kayaking

How is the ocean swimming at Hilton Head? We will be there in a few weeks and I wondered about water temperature and general safety of swimming there? This is our first trip here.

Also, I have never been kayaking and wondered if lessons are necessary before renting. Any suggestions about that?

Thanks!

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming, kayaking

The ocean is safe- just really cool especially in April & May. There are people on the beach that rent umbrellas and stuff- i really don't know if they are lifeguards or not.

Kayaking is fun and they will give you a lesson before you start out- it's very easy and lots of fun. I recommend you do it- just put on alot of sunscreen! I would also do it as part of a tour. They will point out things to you that you would otherwise miss. There are several kayak places on the island. They will tour you through the marshes- not on the open ocean- I wouldn't recommend that.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming, kayaking

HI stgregorygirl: Is that Sudbury, ONTARIO?

Anyway, we were there for March break this year and there were lots of people swimming at that time, probably fellow crazy Canuks. It felt cool when you first went in but felt great after that. Mind you, we had 82 degree weather. I imagine you will be having quite warm weather too, hopefuly.

You will see dolphins from the beach, that's really neat.

We did a kayaking tour from South Beach Marina. We saw dolphins. Kayaking is EASY. They give you a quick lesson. The kind of kayaks they rent are pretty untippable. Bring a bottle of water. Our kayaks had a bottle holder between the legs. Kayaking is really peaceful. If you are staying on a lagoon, lots of people kayak on the lagoons. We were in open water for a bit, nothing to worry about. We even had boat traffic, just keep your nose into the wake. We LOVE Hilton Head. What part are you staying in? If you like hot wings, go to Wild Wing, 33 flavours, Forest Beach area.

Hope this helps,

Waiting for spring in Muskoka....

3. Re: Swimming, kayaking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 29, 2009