We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels & neighborhoods

north GA
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels & neighborhoods

Our family will be moving to G'ville in the next year or so. In the meantime, we plan to visit there about every 6-8 weeks to get familiar with the area.

I'm looking for good hotel suggestions and activity info according to 'neighborhood'. We're in our mid 30s and we have an almost 3 yr old. So restaurants, cafes, museums, parks, shopping, etc, will be on our radar during our stay.

I've read a lot about downtown but I'd really like to hear from people that are really there. We've been burned too many times (even locally) by reading online reviews then it's a total bust when we get there.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels & neighborhoods

Hello. My family and I moved here from upstate NY just 2 years ago. We have a 12 year old, and 4 year old. Welcome to the area. I'm sure you will find it enjoyable living here. In the Greenville area, I love taking my 4 year old to the Greenville Zoo. There is a nice park right next to it, that the kids can enjoy. Another cool park is "Legacy Park/Kids Planet" in the town of Greer. The Children's Museum in downtown is pretty nice. Once you are settled in, and want to explore more, and are up to some longer drives, there are some more cool Children's Museums. There is a museum near Charlotte, NC, called "Discovery Place Kids". I recently took my son, and he loved it! It is geared towards kids ages 1-5. Then, there is the Discovery Place, in downtown Charlotte. In Columbia, SC, there is a big Children's Museum called "Edventure". My son also loves it. Falls Park is always something to do, in the heart of downtown Greenville. It is really beautiful, and always gets rave reviews.

Mentioned in this post
Greenville
Greenville
South Carolina
Greenville Zoo
Greenville Zoo
822 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
NC
Level Contributor
95 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels & neighborhoods

Holiday Inn Express is your best bet for downtown accomodations. That's who we used during our search process.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels & neighborhoods

Hello hulagirl! Downtown Greenville is fabulous and I promise you're going to fall in love with it immediately. In terms of neighborhoods, we live near Pelham Rd and The Parkway (exit 54 on I-85). It's an easy 15min drive into the heart of downtown. There are many hotel options including a Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn, Windham, Courtyard Marriott (my recommendation) and an upscale Marriott if you prefer. Everything you could want is in a 2 mile radius including the best public schools (Buena Vista, and Riverside middle and high school) and two major grocery stores. The People at Publix are unbelievably nice and the kids there take your groceries to your car and load them for you, no tipping! It's just what they do. There are innumerable restaurants...literally too many to name. There is everything here you would find in a suberb of Atlanta, without the traffic. I encourage you to check out this area. Let me Noe if you have any specific questions.

Edited: 12:04 pm, September 30, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Greenville
Greenville
South Carolina
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels & neighborhoods

"know" darn iPad. I hate typing on this thing!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels & neighborhoods

An advanced welcome to the neighborhood!

I'm a native, born an' bred. I've read the other replies and agree with them all. opinions4EatorTravel hit on one interesting point when mentioning Atlanta. I've heard a study for the mayor's office reported that we have 80% of the things that interest a Big City person, with 20% of their traffic. Salsapsychrn also hit on an interesting point. Greenvillians tend to see their home turf in terms of the greater region bordered by Asheville and Charlotte in NC, Columbia in SC, and Atlanta. Half the fun is taking a back road to see where it leads. It might lead to the steeplechase event in Tryon, NC, the IMAX in Simpsonville SC, the Hagood gristmill in Pickens SC, or the Hollywild Zoo in Lyman, SC. Lots of easter eggs to find!

Be sure to watch for the festivals, we have a lot of good ones. In fact, as I write, one of the biggest, Fall for Greenville, will be hitting downtown the second weekend in October. Restaurants from all over the city put up tents and sell (by tickets) samples of their food. Its a good way to try a lot of restaurants at once. There is also live music, cooking shows, kids activity areas and entertainment stage, and competitions like chili cookoffs, ice sculpture contests, and waiters' relays. The weather is usually clear for the event. http://www.fallforgreenville.net/

There are other events to check out like Art in the Park. Holidays bring shows like the St. Francis Hospital's Christmas Trees decorating display, and lots of light shows like the one covering most of the front of Bob Jones University.

A lot of nice restaurants are found in unusual pockets in the city. Its a bit of a easter egg hunt, though sites like this narrow it down.

Basically, for some of the major neighborhoods you have:

Downtown: the obvious current attraction to the city. Trio's at Coffee St. & Main is a fun restaurant, if noisy, and I like Takosushi for their interesting fusion of both Japanese and Southwestern cuisines. But there are so many nice restaurants downtown to choose from! By the way, your 3-year old might like hunting for the Mice on Main, little bronze mice sculptures hidden around the street, including one overhead. Some are pretty cleverly hidden, so you may have to help "find" them. http://www.miceonmain.com/mousehunthints.html

Woodruff Road: the over-zoned, always busy part of the city where much of the chain restaurants and shopping reside. Try Stax Original next to WalMart, or drive east a few miles to the Five Forks area, where Olympian Grill reside. Both are good local restaurants. Saffron Indian Restaurant, #3 on TripAdvisor, is half a block south off the corner of Woodruff Rd & Garlington/Miller Roads.

Haywood Road/Laurens Road: the commercial district that preceeded Woodruff Road. Much of the business is gone, especially on Laurens Road, but the area near Haywood Mall is still busy. Check out Saskatoons, tucked into a shopping strip corner on Haywood Road. It has gained a reputation as a great game meat restaurant. Good steaks too. Just off Haywood Rd. is Orchard Park Drive, with several motels, and, halfway down the drive, Stax Omega, a popular diner opened late (You'll see the name "Stax" on several restaurants in the city)

Wade Hampton Blvd.: an older district in the city but with signs of some new life. The current #1 restaurant, The Owl resides here. Woodlawn Memorial Park cemetary, across from Red Lobster on Wade Hampton, is the final resting place of legendary Shoeless Joe Jackson, the baseball player. You may have seen his fictional representation in the movie Field of Dreams, or perhaps in the movie Eight Men Out. Groundskeepers can point out the grave, if the baseballs and ball bats that fans have left don't make it obvious.

Cherrydale: named for a house that used to reside on the site, Cherrydale is a newer district, housing one of the movie theaters, a shopping strip, and several chain restaurants. Another Stax Original restaurant (the original Original) resides here. The Peddler, a popular steakhouse, is nestled in the trees just north of Cherrydale near Lowes. Pretty Montebello subdivision, done in Italian Tuscan style, is a short drive up State Park Road from Cherrydale, if you'd like to see a spot of color in suburbia.

August St: sometimes called " Augusta Road" by the locals, this borders the "old money" area of the city and is populated with boutiques, chain restaurants, and some nice unique restaurants. Try the Augusta Grill or the Brick Street Cafe.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Greenville
Greenville
South Carolina
Takosushi
Takosushi
182 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Haywood Mall
Haywood Mall
97 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Augusta
Augusta
Georgia
Augusta Grill
Augusta Grill
146 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Brick Street Cafe
Brick Street Cafe
243 Reviews
Greenville, SC
6. Re: Hotels & neighborhoods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 07, 2013