We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just canceled our florida trip for fear of the oil rig spill

lawrenceburg in.
Level Contributor
142 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Just canceled our florida trip for fear of the oil rig spill

Thinking of trying Fripp Island, never been, heard it's nice. We want ocean front view, and a usable beach, where do we want to stay? I see lots of comments about beach access only at low tide. How is the fishing there?

Thanks

Indiana
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just canceled our florida trip for fear of the oil rig spill

I cannot help you with Fripp Island. We are also booked for a vacation in Destin in 3 weeks and thinking about cancelling. Don't know if we should do it now or wait????

lawrenceburg in.
Level Contributor
142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just canceled our florida trip for fear of the oil rig spill

it's not loking good for the pan handle, we had until may 5 to change plans, glad we went ahead and did it. I found pics on line of orange beach alabama where the sand had oil residue wash up yesterday and reports of cloudy water moving in. Too bad for that area we love Destin to Alabama and usually vacation there.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just canceled our florida trip for fear of the oil rig spill

Hi hoosierdaddy1970,

Fripp Island and the Lowcountry region are outstanding places to fish. The Fripp Island Marina offers charters with some of the best. Contact the Fripp Island Marina at 843-838-1517.

The island itself is very relaxing and a great place to spend a week. To ensure you have a beach at low tide, you will want to rent a unit that is east of the Beach Club area. Follow the link below to look at a map of the island.

frippagent.com/IMG/…20Island.gif

The best areas for rental are between blocks 1A and 8D.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. I used to work on Fripp, so I know it pretty well!

Columbus,Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just canceled our florida trip for fear of the oil rig spill

We just canceled our vacation to Anna Maria Island on the Gulf.

What a shame.

Looking for someplace else, kids very disappointed.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,796 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just canceled our florida trip for fear of the oil rig spill

It's tragic that the gulf coast is threatened by the terrible oil spill. All of us are hoping for the best.

If you are looking for alternatives on the Atlantic coast of South Carolina, you'll get your most responses by posting on the specific forum for coastal South Carolina - tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659476-i12770-Coa…

Indiana
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just canceled our florida trip for fear of the oil rig spill

oldberkeley,

Did you cancel out of fear it might come to that area or do you think it will?

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Just canceled our florida trip for fear of the oil rig spill

Also canceled a Destin trip due to fear that the beaches would be unusable. We are going to Fripp with a 15 month old and a 4 year old. Does anyone have suggestions for kids that young on Fripp? I understand that there are several playgrounds and kids pools?

I'm also interested in the low tide/high tide beach issue. Does the Beach Club/Tennis Club area and east have both high and low tide beaches? How is the water to swim in?

8. Re: Just canceled our florida trip for fear of the oil rig spill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 03, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Fripp Island
Recent Conversations