We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fripp Island vs. Kiawah Island

Atlanta (north side)
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fripp Island vs. Kiawah Island

We are trying to choose between the two spots....

we live on the north side of Atlanta and have enjoyed

vacationing in such great places as Longboat Key,

Florida, Amelia Island, Forida, Islamorada, Florida

Hilton Head, Daufuskie Island, South Carolina and others.

We love a peaceful scenic environment, surf fishing, and

nature. Please help us make a wise decision.

Thanks.

Dan & Margie

Atlanta (Roswell, GA)

Level Contributor
340 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fripp Island vs. Kiawah Island

Fripp is more isolated than Kiawah. Closest town to Fripp is Beaufort if you want to eat out etc. Beaufort is a nice small town with good restaurants.

Kiawah is more of an upscale resort with beautiful sandy beach, bike trails, and nature tours on offer including Kayaking, Loggerhead turtle programs, birdwatching etc. There are several restaurants and pool complexes on Kiawah Island and if you want to splurge do the Sunday Brunch at the beautiful Sanctuary Hotel.

Of course, Charleston is just an easy 30 min. drive from Kiawah if you want more restaurants or night life. It is a lovely tourist destination on its own.

You can do surf fishing on both islands.

You don't mention golf, but I will say that Fripp has 1 course, I believe while Kiawah has several. Tennis is also big on Kiawah.

Both Fripp and Kiawah are MUCH quiter and more "natural" than Hilton Head.

Hope this helps.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fripp Island vs. Kiawah Island

I can't stand leaving the first response to this question out there alone. Fripp is a gorgous, family oriented, private island. There are several restaurants on island (you need an amenity card to use facilities on this island) and many more before you get to Beaufort (a really charming southern town). Savannah is an easy drive. Fripp has 2 championship golf courses rated 4.5 and 4 by Golf Digest, tennis, a marina with boating, bike trail and rentals, golf cart rentals (for on the roads instead of cars) and a small fitness center. Several nice pools including adult only and a family complex with kid pools and casual lunch spot with changing facilities. The beach is gorgous!

In summer they offer day camp for kids, kids' night out, different family activites during the week. Many are nature oriented. Check it out online!

Michigan
Level Contributor
297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fripp Island vs. Kiawah Island

I second the first responder. We enjoyed both locations. but from you posting of past vacations, I think Kiawah would be a first pick. (If I could afford it, Kiawah would be my retirement fantasy)

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
57 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fripp Island vs. Kiawah Island

I used to live on Fripp but now live in Beaufort both are nice but Fripp is the place I would go if you like to fish and crab, south end of Island is where you catch the most . Have a great time!

Get answers to your questions about Fripp Island