We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone know this house and area? Beach conditions?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone know this house and area? Beach conditions?

We are on the verge of renting a house on the beach at 1635 E. Ashley. I'm under the impression this is a quiet area. The owner told me that the water will come up to the steps at high tide. Is this an area where the beach is very narrow?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone know this house and area? Beach conditions?

I guess it will be narrow at high tide, not so much at low tide. Are you familiar with tide charts?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone know this house and area? Beach conditions?

yes and I just changed the week we had chosen based on the tides. Is there much of a difference in the beach at 809 W. Ashley? This is the other location we are considering but thought the East Ashley location was quieter. Any other location differences?

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone know this house and area? Beach conditions?

Both locations are in relatively quiet residential areas. Things get busy closer to the town center and the pier.

Personally, I like West Ashley's proximity to the beautiful beach and dunes at Charleston County's Folly Beach Park. The park has been closed for restoration following hurricane erosion, but will likely reopen this summer. http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=61

If you are surfers, you may prefer the East Ashley location because it is close to The Washout surfing beach.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone know this house and area? Beach conditions?

Park is closed indefinitely. The dock has been torn down. There will be no restoration without federal funding. I would take East Ashley. At the 800 block on the west side, there is a community beach access with bathroom facilities. Surfer's Beach is at 10th-12th block on east side.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone know this house and area? Beach conditions?

Thanks for the udate on the park, Diane. Folly has been a jewel among Charleston County Parks. Very sad!

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,578 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone know this house and area? Beach conditions?

I don't understand "changing the week we had chosen, based on the tides". There will be high and low tides every day. Granted, they will be more significant if there is a full moon that week.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone know this house and area? Beach conditions?

Because one week high tide may come in the middle part of the day and one week low tide may come in the middle part of the day. If one's looking to maximize time on the beach, it's smart to check the tide tables, especially on Folly.

I'd bet you'd get a bit more beach at 809 West, but maybe not much. 809 W seems to have a groin right in front of it (a negative in my view) while 1635 E is between 2 groins (better). Surf will be rougher at 1635 E.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone know this house and area? Beach conditions?

endosunshine, I hope I was looking at this correctly but as Brian mentioned, it looks like one week has a low tide during most of the time I would frequent the beach.

Brian, I don't know what a "groin" is (on the beach that is :) but I'll take your word for 2 being better than one.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone know this house and area? Beach conditions?

A groin (pronounced growin') is like a jetty. It's not fun or safe to swim close to one, so it's better not to have one right next to your house.

You're right about the tides. Low tide (or high tide) is just about an hour later every 24 hours. Low tide noon today, 1PM tomorrow, etc.

Charleston, South...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone know this house and area? Beach conditions?

My husband and I rented 809 West last year and will be going back again this year. We loved it. You do lose all but a few feet of the beach at high tide but the backyard and separate deck remain dry. It's only a couple of houses away from the old park so it's really quiet and in the spring we just about had the beach to ourselves. The couple that owns the house were great to work with too. Enjoy no matter what you decide upon!

Get answers to your questions about Folly Beach