We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Folly Beach Questions

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Folly Beach Questions

Help.... I think I'm spending too much time surfing the net and reading about Folly Beach! I've been looking at a few travel sites that are not painting Folly Beach in a "family friendly" light. The most common theme seems to be that it's overrun with drunken college kids, urinating in public, etc.

As you can see from my DE status, I am familiar with Myrtle Beach & it also has a bad reputation for out-of-control behavior. Although that is true during certain weeks, for the most part, we consider it a safe and fun place for families.

Also, some of the terms that have popped up are: bohemian, free-spirited, hippy, funky, eclectic, "not for the conservative". Is there something "between the lines" that I am not catching on to? I would love to hear any specifics.

We are just a normal family who usually stays in Surfside, Myrtle or North Myrtle---50 ish parents, late 20's kids & 2 grandchildren. We have been so excited to plan a trip to the Charleston beach area. Please tell me it's not as bad as I'm reading.

p.s. on tripadvisor, I read only great things about Folly Beach :)

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Surfside Beach
Surfside Beach
North Myrtle Beach
North Myrtle Beach
Charleston
Charleston
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Folly Beach Questions

Hi, Sopranofreak!

Folly is popular with the young people, since the surfing is the best in the area, and they can drink on the beach. Weekends are busier than during the week. Plan your Charleston trips on weekdays to avoid slow traffic.

People write weird stuff sometimes, and I think it's based on expectations vs.reality. I don't think you're missing anything. I would be surprised if you didn't love it. People live and raise families there. Have a great trip and write us a report.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Folly Beach Questions

We love Folly Beach. We have been visiting there for the past several years. Our group includes our extended family from grandparents to second graders. Our sons tell me never to let anyone know about Folly since they think we should keep a good thing to ourselves. I agree with shanklemsw that you should go and enjoy your vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Folly Beach Questions

Thanks! Cold, rainy weekend here in Ohio so that leaves me with too much time on my hands. I'm not going to 2nd guess myself anymore. We love Charleston, we love the beach. We will love Folly.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Charleston
Charleston
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Folly Beach Questions

Warm and rainy down here, but we need it so it's not a bad thing.

I understand the second guessing. it's hard NOT to, but I really think you all will enjoy it. It's a really fun place. Check out Bowen's and the The Wich Doctor when you don't want to cook.

Cheraw, South...
Level Contributor
21 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Folly Beach Questions

We love Folly Beach! It is one of our favorite beaches. We went there a couple years ago with my husbands whole family to celebrate his parents 40th anniversary. We got a big house on the beach and stayed a whole week. We loved every minute and made the best memories! Everyone from grandpa & grandma, the toddlers and the teenagers loved it! Have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
6. Re: Folly Beach Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 pm, July 20, 2015
J M
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Folly Beach Questions

We are in our 40's and just got back from Folly Beach. We really enjoyed it. Lots of families and people with dogs. I think you will see more college kids during spring break and fall break. We really liked it because it is so close to Charleston, etc., and that offers a lot to do. We are pretty particular and like quiet vacations and we loved relaxing on Foly after a long day of sight seeing. The pier is really neat to walk on. If you are looking at the pier from the road, I would suggest staying to the right, not as many people. If you rented a house, you could be even farther from the activities. You can walk to everything on Folly which is nice too. I would describe it as a tiny Panama City Beach if that helps. The police are patrolling the beach. Let me know if you have any particular questions.

This is where we stayed.

http://www.vrbo.com/31289

Charleston has a free trolley system http://www.discovercharleston.com/maps/ But the parking lots and public garages were pretty cheap so we ended up driving instead of taking the trolley. Some free parking around parks and the Battery.

The Lost Dog Cafe is the only place I would recommend to eat on Folly.

http://www.lostdogfollybeach.com/

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Charleston
Charleston
Panama City Beach
Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Folly Beach Questions

We're staying at Charleston Oceanfront Villas. It look like it's very near the pier, but not sure if to the right or left. Guess we'll find out soon :) Lost Dog is on our list. Did you try other places on Folly that weren't good? We usually eat dinner out most nights on vacation....hope there are a few decent places! We'll be in Charleston some but definitely not every evening at dinner time.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Lost Dog Cafe
Lost Dog Cafe
1,439 Reviews
Folly Beach, SC
Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Folly Beach Questions

There are other good places to eat. One of my favorite is the Tokyo Crepes Wagon, both savory and dessert crepes. I like Planet Folly for weekend breakfast. I like Sunday afternoon happy hour at the Crab Shack with live music. I've heard Loggerhead's has great pasta dishes with homemade clam sauce (haven't yet tried it). Once every couple of months, I get a Woody's Pizza.

My sons, late 20's, like Surf Bar for their char grilled fish and burgers. They also like the Wich Dr. for the jalapeno and pepperoni pizza.

The pier is to the left facing the ocean. You are in a perfect location with wide beach, great people watching, and able to walk everywhere. When are you coming?

Mentioned in this post
Woody's Pizza
Woody's Pizza
371 Reviews
Folly Beach, SC
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Folly Beach Questions

Add Rita's and Folly Beach Shrimp Company to the list of places to eat. Rita's had good burgers and a great Reuben special. FBSC exceeded all expectations, good crab cakes.

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Get answers to your questions about Folly Beach