We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Erosion of Folly Beach from hurricane Irene

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Erosion of Folly Beach from hurricane Irene

We have a deposit on a house across the road from Folly Beach for 10 days in October. I am worried that the beach might not be accessible from the walk-over bridges now. One of the pictures I saw showed the last step and what looks like a four foot drop to the sand on the other side. My husband has limited mobility and if he can't make it to the beach, we might be revising our plans. Any current info on this issue would be helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Erosion of Folly Beach from hurricane Irene

Most of the erosion occured at the County Park on the west end of the island. I"m sure this is where the picture was taken.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Erosion of Folly Beach from hurricane Irene

Thanks for the information Diane. Unfortunately, I think I am now more concerned. Our rental is on the West end, very close to the entrance to the county park. Not sure what to do now... might just have to revise our plans.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Erosion of Folly Beach from hurricane Irene

Why don't you contact the people you are renting from to see if they can give you more accurate information about your specific boardwalk?

Even w/the closing of the county park, it has still been emphasized that the beach is open, otherwise.

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Erosion of Folly Beach from hurricane Irene

Give me the address, and I'll do a drive-by. The houses do not have docks that extend over the ocean. Even if there was erosion, you only need enough sand to put your beach chair and cooler!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Erosion of Folly Beach from hurricane Irene

Diane, that is just so nice of you to offer to do that!!!

Mason, Ohio, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Erosion of Folly Beach from hurricane Irene

Interested in how Folly Beach is looking for this years rentals....the house we rented is near West 6th and Ashley Ave. ... Anyone know how the beach looks here?

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Erosion of Folly Beach from hurricane Irene

There is still plenty of beach at Folly, it's just the county park end of the island that was severely damaged.

8. Re: Erosion of Folly Beach from hurricane Irene

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, January 29, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Folly Beach