We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bachelor weekend in Charleston area?

Chattanooga
9 posts
Save Topic
Bachelor weekend in Charleston area?

Can anyone advise me on what there is to do in Charleston for a Bachelor weekend/party? It's currently scheduled for next spring and the only requirement from the groom is to rent a beach-house and going to some cool bars(no str!p clubs). I dont know the area, so I don't know where to start. We'll have +10 people.

Help!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bachelor weekend in Charleston area?

How much do you want to spend and will you have a designated driver??? These questions will make a huge difference in where you stay and what you do...

My first thought would be Folly Beach, where you could walk to bars and wouldn't have to worry about driving.

If, indeed, you want to stay at the beach, and be able to partake of the bars in Charleston, you will definitely need a driver.

Chattanooga
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bachelor weekend in Charleston area?

We were hoping to avoid driving as much as possible. If there are good bars in Folly Beach, we would probably go downtown Charleston early in the day or cab-it(how expensive/far would that be?).

The goal is to avoid the spring-break crowd and find the bars for "young-professionals"(best I could discribe).

Chattanooga
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bachelor weekend in Charleston area?

Price would be middle range for the area...not going cheap, but not needing a AMEX Black

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bachelor weekend in Charleston area?

There will definitely be spring break folks at all the beaches, families, as well as college kids.

You'll find the nicer "upscale" bars in Charleston. Taxis from any of the beaches will be a chunk of change.

You'll have to give us a $$$ amount, "middle range" is different for everyone. Are you looking for a big house??? Several condos??? The Tides is the only hotel on Folly Beach.

Is your weekend just one or two nights? You might just as well stay in Charleston, instead of the beach, where you can walk everywhere.

Chattanooga
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bachelor weekend in Charleston area?

We were looking to rent a house for a three day weekend. On or across the street from the beach. A rough estimate of $ is $75-$100/night/person for rent would be the range, plus about the same for food/drinks. We're expecting about 10 people.

We don't mind the spring-breakers/families at the beaches...we're just looking to avoid the "wet T-shirt contests" kinda places.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bachelor weekend in Charleston area?

We don't really have those type of places at the Charleston beaches. Spring break crowd in this area is more of the under college age crowd. Folly will attract more of a college age crowd than the other beaches due to the fact that they allow alcohol on the beach. Your other options are the Isle of Palms (3 hotels, numerous homes/condos to rent) and Sullivan's Island (no hotels, homes and a very few condos). Can you give us a better idea of what "spring" is - here that means March to May. Prior to Memorial Day many homes will rent for less than a week, after that almost all homes/condos will rent for 1 week time periods only.

You may want to look on www.vrbo.com to get some ideas of what is available and what the cost will be.

Edited: 8:44 am, June 28, 2011
Charleston
Level Contributor
468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bachelor weekend in Charleston area?

Young professionals? 25 - 35, I'm thinking.

Folly Beach because James Island is still affordable for the young professionals in the area. And there is the alcohol allowed. As a once "young professional" myself, I wouldn't want to go to a bachelorette weekend at the beach without being able to take my favorite beverage to the beach with me. My "young professional" facebook friends seem to be there every weekend.

Chattanooga
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bachelor weekend in Charleston area?

Yes, your age bracket assumption is correct...though its a little more like 30-37, so we're bummping-up against the big 40.

Also, I'm assuming May, before Memorial day weekend.

Folly sound like the way to go.

Thanks to all who have commented!

9. Re: Bachelor weekend in Charleston area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, October 06, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Folly Beach