We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Folly Beach or Myrtle Beach?

Which Folly Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Folly Beach or Myrtle Beach?

We booked a room for June 12-19 at Holiday Inn but I think it seems really pricey. With tax included approx 1600 for the week. It is a Ocean Front room. I see comparable places in Myrtle Beach for half the price. The question is we are 2 guys just looking to do nothing but relax by the pool and get in the ocean. Nothing against children but looking for a place that wont be crawling with kids. Is Folly Beach a better bet?

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Folly Beach or Myrtle Beach?

Folly is far less crowded than Myrtle Beach and is about a quarter of the size. The Holiday Inn is the only building on Folly that's over four stories tall, to give you any indication. Myrtle Beach alone has 30 buildings that are over 10 stories tall.

I personally like Folly a lot more than Myrtle Beach... plus, you are near Charleston if you want to take a break from the beach for the day. House rentals on Folly are actually rather reasonable, and the general rule of thumb there is that the closer you are to the beach, the more you'll pay. Oftentimes, "second row" houses for weekly rental are about half the price of ocean-front ones. If you're not 100% sold on the Holiday Inn, you can check out Avocet Rentals, which offer an array of house and condo rentals... likely for less than what you're paying at the Holiday Inn.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,803 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Folly Beach or Myrtle Beach?

Definitely, Folly, as opposed to MB. Agree w/all the above reasons, Folly is more like a funky, old fashioned beach town and won't be crowded anything like MB.

I would also agree, look into renting a condo or villa rather than staying at the HI, you'll have so much more room and can either cook in or go out. Many of the condos have pools w/them, as well. FB is not that big of a place, check out VRBO for some ideas, as well.

You will enjoy taking a day or two to visit Charleston and some fabulous restaurants.

Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Folly Beach or Myrtle Beach?

Thanks for the speedy replies. So it appears we are going to stick with Folly Beach as it sounds more like our speed. I will check some rentals on VRBO if not the Holiday Inn appears to be really nice. And when we travel we tend to be spoiled. We like the daily housekeeping and amenities a hotel offers. Thanks again for the replies!

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Folly Beach or Myrtle Beach?

Just wondering how the water quality is at Folly Beach for swimming. The water around Charleston is rather murky, but I suppose that Folly is more exposed to the waves.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Folly Beach or Myrtle Beach?

Johnnjon - I would definitely recommend Folly Beach over Myrtle. The only beachfront hotel is the Holiday Inn, and frankly it didn't look overly impressive to me.

We stayed in a condo last year which was beside an inn called Water's Edge. I would recommend taking a look at Water's Edge as it looked very charming. The TA reviews are also very positive. The only downsize, IMO, is that it isn't beachfront.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Folly Beach or Myrtle Beach?

Folly is better - more to do for single guys; MB is cheaper, busier & great for kids that you are trying to avoid. The water in FB seems slightly warmer, but may be it's just my imagination.

You might even see some events of Spoleto Festival that end June 13..

http://www.spoletousa.org/

Edited: 7:48 am, April 29, 2010
7. Re: Folly Beach or Myrtle Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:30 am, October 27, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Folly Beach