We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We ended up filing a BBB complaint

Which Folly Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, MD
10 posts
Save Topic
We ended up filing a BBB complaint

Where to start: first, we were erroneously billed twice, despite customer service being told not to bill our credit card without first contacting us. Our property itself (which we rented for our WEDDING) had several inexcusable shortcomings: flea infestations (as a result, we sustained numerous bites and had to partially fumigate at our own expense), no cooking utensils aside from a single pan, burnt out lights, broken furniture in the property, clothing leftover from previous tenants in the property, and no garbage receptacles. In addition, provisions that were listed in the property advertisement were missing: television, cable, VCR and linens. When we contacted customer service, we were never attended to unless we appeared in person. Repair service took over 48 hours. No response to a prior written letter stating these complaints were ever received and then they denied hearing of us when we complained with the Better Business Bureau.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
745 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We ended up filing a BBB complaint

Where and who did you rent from?

Baltimore, MD
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: We ended up filing a BBB complaint

From Fred Holland Realty in Folley Beach, SC. Our property was on E. Hudson Street.

VA
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: We ended up filing a BBB complaint

We used Fred Holland Realty also, and had the same problems. Add in broken A/C, Refrigerator, Dryer and not fleas but Bed Bugs...

The address was 911 Arctic Ave, Folly Beach, SC. June 2008.

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We ended up filing a BBB complaint

I can't say this enough--Make your complaint in writing to the rental company. And try to let the owners of the property know.

Many owners "trust" their management companies are taking good care of their properties. Owners pay upwards of 50-60% to list with a rental company (when you add all the nickel and dime-ing). Owners can't know what is going on with their properties 24/7 unless the guests report it.

FWIW, I had a lovely family as guests last week at my home on SI. After their visit, mom emails me raving about their wonderful vacation. She then went on to report a few problems, mostly cleaning issues.

I thanked her immensely for reporting these things. If she had not have told me, I would have never known. For what I pay the cleaning service, one should be able to eat off the floor (and in this case, the guests would have been eating lots of sand).

Sure there are some owners out there that don't care about their properties. There are others whose rental properties are better outfitted than their permanent homes;-)

Baltimore, MD
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: We ended up filing a BBB complaint

Oh, that's the best part! We did write a letter. NO response. Then when we went to the BBB, they claimed to have never heard of us. Thank goodness we held onto the contract!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We ended up filing a BBB complaint

I can't stress how important it is to do some research before renting on Folly. It is a diverse community and has many different homes. It ranges from very extravagant to basically a shack.

From driving around on Folly and looking through there website pictures you can get an idea about how your house will fare. The best resource is Fred Holland. We would call and say that we were looking at house x, y, and z - which of the houses is the newest? which is bigger? which is nicer?

Now I agree one downfall of fred holland is that customer service varies - but call on a different day - speak to someone else. We have gone 4 years in a row and have never been disappointed. It isn't the Ritz but it provides great beach accomadations for a reasonable price if you are willing to do some homework.

I did see a lot of the nicer houses under new real estate management. I think it was Arcadia?? Most of their houses were very updated and on the higher end of quality in Folly.

Baltimore, MD
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: We ended up filing a BBB complaint

I agree that the houses varied. Our family rented a local luxury apt. But even then, Fred Holland double-billed them and initially denied any wrongdoing. It took our family quite a bit of persistence to get the company to address the matter.

Even local residents can only say negative things about Fred Holland Realty. You're right in that they have a bit of a monopoly. (The only other company is http://www.VBRO.com - we had some friends who rented successfully through them.)

The best I can say is good luck if you opt for Fred Holland.

Baltimore, MD
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: We ended up filing a BBB complaint

I should specify that by "our family" we mean a set of parents, cousins, aunts, uncle, sibling/nephews, and grandmother.

Follylover27
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: We ended up filing a BBB complaint

Truthfully, owners only give the management company 10-15% of their rental income. The realty companies for the most part barely make enough to pay their overhead costs. I personally know Fred Holland Realty is normally very quick to get a maintenance person out to the property when something is reported as broken, or if something is wrong UNLESS the OWNER of the house has said NOT TO FIX IT. Alot of owner's do not want anything fixed or done in their house until they come in to do it themselves. That can not be held against Fred Holland. Fred Holland is very quick to fix any wrong made. I have greatly enjoyed each & every vacation I have been on through Fred Holland. We have been doing business with them for years & will never go anywhere else.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,598 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We ended up filing a BBB complaint

WOW! Folly owners may be making out like bandits with Fred Holland, but that is not the norm elsewhere. On Kiawah, for example, management commissions range from 40% to 60%. The 10% to 15% commission you state for Fred Holland is almost unbelievable.

Renters might want to steer away from a realty company that is operating on such thin margins, and has such stingy clients, that they cannot attend to basic repair and housekeeping.

Get answers to your questions about Folly Beach