We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Edisto in May

West Virginia
5 posts
Save Topic
Going to Edisto in May

I am so glad that I found this forum. A friend of mine and I are going to Edisto Beach in early May. We actually found it by accident just looking for something laid back and quiet. Now that we have our house rented and travel plans made, we really haven't been able to find out much about the area (which I guess is what "saves" its charm). Is there a special spot for shelling, a perfect spot to see the dolphins or a certain time, the must visit resturant? ANY and all info would be greatly appreciated. We are renting a house on Nancy St (somewhere on the middle of the town?) but the rental agency assured us that EVERYTHING is just a bike ride away. Thanks in advance for your inputs

Beach Bound

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
520 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Going to Edisto in May

I was just down there this past weekend. Everyone is getting ready for the warm weather. The Post Office restaurant is closed for renovations right now; I was told by one of the workers there that they plan to reopen around April 14th. The Pig (Piggly Wiggly; our lone grocery store) is doing its summer hours for the weekends now. Plantation Golf Course is open & going strong. They have a new restaurant there (the Plantation Grille) which is open for breakfast, lunch, & dinner. I have not had a chance to check it out yet. It is located in the Fairfield Ocean Ridge resort area, but is open to the public (as is the golf course).

Ocean temp was 57 degrees this weekend.

Nicholasville, KY
8 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Going to Edisto in May

My family and I will be returning to Edisto in June, this will be my fifth year in a row to visit. We always eat out one night at the Sunset Grille. It is right on the water and it is a lot of fun to eat and watch the boats come in. During the summer, the dock has a bar and live music going on, which makes it even more fun. There are some cute shops there, go to Sage, for some nice, but reasonably priced, souvenirs. The first time we visited Edisto, and it always happens, is that the people there are so friendly, whether they live there full time or are visitors like ourselves. One of our traditions is going to the end of the island, (at the sound end) and watching the sunset. Sometimes we picnic, sometimes we walk along the beach, sometimes we just sit and enjoy the sunset. We always see dolphins at this time.

Virginia
12 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Going to Edisto in May

If you are interested in shelling, you can take a short boat ride to "Shell Island". We always call Cap'n Ron (your realtor can give you the number) as soon as we get to Edisto. He takes small groups on his little boat and drops you off for I think 2 hours on a secluded little island that is just incredible. Each person can fill one grocery bag or bucket full of shells to take home. He drops each family or group of friends off on a different part of the island so that you will have it all to yourselves. It's very beautiful there, but there is no shade. Take drinks and wear hats and sunglasses. Last year we brought those neck wraps you can freeze, which helped keep us cool. The water is very inviting, and you can swim, but Capn' Ron will tell you not to go in past your knees. Not to scare you, but there are sharks! (We saw one our first time out). Its a wonderful way to spend a morning. You may see Loggerhead turtle tracks where the turtles have come to shore to bury their eggs in the sand. It is a completely unspoiled nature sanctuary. Two hours seems a little too long when its very hot, but if you're going in May, you may not have trouble with that. Take a blanket or towel to sit on and just relax. You won't be disappointed!

Virginia
12 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Going to Edisto in May

One other thing: If you are at all interested in history, Edisto has a fascinating one. My sister and I are obsessed with the colorful stories of the old plantation families that first lived on the island when they grew "Sea Island Cotton" and were very wealthy. Last summer we took a bus tour of the Island (The Pink Van Island tours) and it was so much fun. We visited several old plantations and heard a lot of history and stories we hadn't yet learned, even a true (?) ghost story as we walked through an old cemetery. We learned a lot about the Gullah culture, which is still pretty strong there. Our wonderful tour guide baked us cookies and gave us lemonade. She was born and raised on Edisto and added her own personal touch to the tour. I highly recommend the tour or at least get a book. There are several good ones that have Edisto's history and stories along with great pictures.

Virginia
12 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Going to Edisto in May

Let us know what you think of Edisto. I will say a few things to prepare you. Edisto is not a perfect, resort-like place. Some of the beach houses are run down, and we actually rented a pretty shabby one, in terrible need of paint and yard work, but the picture in the brochure looked just fine, so be careful. On the long road in,(highway 174) you will see a strange mixture of run down houses and beautiful old churches. We invited my sister one summer to meet us there, and she said on her way in she was wondering what we got her into. Now she is completely in love with Edisto and has driven all the way from Chicago with her family two summers in a row to meet us there. The locals are different, quirky, I would say. It took me a couple days to settle in, and my sister would say the same thing, but all of a sudden we just sort of fell in love with the flavor of the island and the laid back way of life there. Last summer we would walk the beach early in the morning (looking for loggerhead tracks) and go out and sit on the beach late at night, and often, we were the only people on the whole beach! The food is wonderful. Often we would go to the farm market on 174 and buy tomato pies, squash casseroles and key lime pie and eat at our house. All the restaurants are very good. Be sure to meander. Take a drive down Botany Bay road where the live oaks form a beautiful, eerie canopy over your head.

It's not for everyone. I have another sister who I don't think would love it like I do. She's a Myrtle Beach type person. It's very different and that's why we keep going back. Let us know what you think.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
90 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Going to Edisto in May

If you have your own bikes take them. We inquired about golf carts when down there and they wanted a deposit in cash 1/2 the price of purchasing a golf cart....anyhooo just bitter I guess. Im sure the deposit isnt as bad on a bike, but considering what they want on a golf cart...they own the market...lets just say that.

Also, I suggest Mains Market on 174. Its a hole in the wall, but some of the best southern food you will find around. You walk in and its like stepping back in time. Its not fancy...Id go for breakfast or lunch. But the shrimp and grits are great....mac and cheese to die for and tomato pie...oh my! Dont get scared...they sell everything from dog collars to landscaping materials. But the food is to die for.

Dinner at Sunset is decent. Probably a better lunch spot...

Dockside has great seafood. The bar beneath it is quaint as well.

The seafood shack beside it has good prices on fresh shrimp, scallops, fish, etc to buy in bulk, freeze and then take home with you. I love fresh seafood so this is the way to go.

Basically....Edisto is totally laid back...shorts and t-shirts and flip flops. It cant get better than that.

Maryville, TN
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Going to Edisto in May

You will love Edisto. Check out Whaleys, a local bar on Myrtle, good local bands on the weekend. The old Post Office Restaurant is under renovation, but a great place if open. The Waterfront Grill is very good and there is a place in Hollywood a little more upscale called the Firehouse Rest. Upscale only in food, not necessarily dressy. Everything on the island is very laid back. In fact we call it Edislow. Seacow can't be beat for breakfast and lunch. Sunset Grill is good, best place to see dolphins is outside of the grill toward the ocean off Big Bay Creek. Best place for sunset, my opinion is either at the end of palmetto blvd toward the bay or Mikell St. beach assess on Palmetto. Champagne and camera are musts for these beautiful sunsets!

We have a rental there, FYI for anyone, in FairField on Oristo Ridge, "Quietly Making Noise".

Our daughter is getting married on the island May 12th at Cypress Trees Plantation. We are looking forward to it! Hope everyone has a great time! Look for several from Knoxville and Nashville that weekend!(There is also a huge fishing tournament that weekend)

Hope we can find a place to eat!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Going to Edisto in May

Edisto was beautiful and quiet. the lull before the summer madness.We stayed at the state park cabins. It met our needs nicely; linens, kitchen ware, a.c., t.v., enclosed screen porch, picnic table, grill and very comfortable and clean bed mattress.The price and location great too. It was about a mile from the beach and it has campsites right on the beach. We wanted to go to Whaleys for music on sat. night but left when we got in to the smokey bar/restaurant.-too bad .Had great homemade southern food at HoBo on hgway174-found that the last night there-would have eaten ther every night if we'd found it earlier. Sea Cow eatery -in town had good breakfast/lunces too. We got groceries at the Piggley wiggley. bring your bicycles-Great biking paths around town. Best beach area is north above the state park-great shelling and quiet there. Edisto is way off the beaten path-45-60 minutes to get to a big toon/city. but going in May was worth it-mellow and quiet. If you want some site seeing-Beautfort and Charleston were great-historic and quaint.about 1 hr. fdrive to eaither.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Going to Edisto in May

update-good food at "Po-Pigs"BBQ-........ho-bo is the business enterprise name 2410 hgway 174

20. Re: Going to Edisto in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, September 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Edisto Island
Recent Conversations