We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

Warwick, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

Hi,

We are going to stay on Kiawah the first week of June with our 4-year old. We'd love to visit Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park but from what I've discovered so far, it sounds like the hikes to the actual beache/s might be too long and strenuous for a young kid even an active one. Can someone please describe how long the walk is from the visitor center/parking to the beach, the type of terrain, humidity in early June, etc.? I assume there are mosquitoes there and other insects too? Can we bike there? Are there guided tours? In short, is it worth trying to take a 4-year old there or better wait a few years?

Thanks for any guidance.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

The alligators are fascinating! Here's a wonderful way to learn about alligators and about safe behavior around alligators - kiawahresort.com/recreation/…gator-walk

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
159 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

Julia, my kids are now teenagers, and they love Botany Bay. I know they would have loved it when they were 4. Botany Bay wasn't even open then, and they thought plain old Edisto Beach was heaven on earth because of the variety of wildlife!

The hike from the parking to the beach is not too far for a 4-year-old, in my opinion. Just make sure he/she is wearing tennis shoes or something other than flip-flops, as the walk includes stones and shells. The terrrain is flat. I'm sorry I don't know the exact distance, but it's not that bad, really. And it's scenic! Also, there are lots of fiddler crabs on both sides of the path; we're all fascinated with those even at our ages. They will keep a four-year-old excited and moving, and before you know it, you're there.

When you enter Botany Bay and get your car tag, be sure that you pick up a map. It will show you where to drive to and park before walking to the beach itself. If you arrive before an attendant is there, there is a box to put the entry fee in (one small fee per car) and pick up the brochure.

You are correct that the beach (the Boneyard) is absolutely breathtaking, and it's great for photography. There are shells hanging from many of the trees, but I was thinking people put them there? Not sure. For the best pictures and chances of seeing wildlife, go early in the morning or early in the evening. It's open from sunrise to sunset.

Yes, there will be mosquitoes, and the hike to the beach can be very hot and humid, in answer to your questions. Going early or late can help with the humidity, but the mosquitoes will be worse than they are in midday. Still, once you're on the beach itself, the mosquitoes won't be around. Trust me, the beauty of the beach is worth fighting a few mosquitoes on the way! You shouldn't have trouble with any other insects.

Another wonderful thing about Botany Bay is the seclusion. You may not see anyone else there! We've been alone there, even mid-morning! This is also excellent for photography.

I can't remember if bikes are allowed at Botany Bay, but they are at the State Park.

Don't worry-- your 4-year-old will love it!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
159 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

Just re-read the thread to see if I had missed any of your questions. Don't worry about alligators. We haven't seen those at Botany Bay, even though they live at Edisto and everywhere else.

We have seen many varieties of crabs (including big horseshoe crabs and tiny ghost crabs), many varieties of birds, sea dollars, starfish, and interesting washed-up creatures, such as puffer fish and jellyfish. My kids could spend hours there.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

I agree that my two daughters would have loved Botany and the walk to Boneyard when they were that age. Being closer to the ground than I, they could spot the Fiddler Crabs and other little creatures more quickly. I'm sure you won't move along too fast or be insensitive to impending meltdowns! The worst that can happen is that you carry your child to the car, go buy some ice cream on Edisto, and drive back to Kiawah.

With a four-year-old, it's all about discovery! When my younger daughter was five we saw a strange Crustacean on the edge of the marsh. She drew a detailed picture that we took to Kiawah's Nature Center, where they were able to identify it for her. Can't remember at the moment what it was (and have never seen one before or since); but, I still have the drawing stuck in a book next to a technical description and photo of the animal.

Give it a try. Please report back to us about your trip. :-)

Warwick, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

I'm so grateful to everyone for sharing your experiences and providing details on this destination. I can't wait to explore this place with my family. And even if Botany Bay won't work out, I feel like I've got plenty of other wonderful alternatives. I will be sure to report back on the adventure!

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
288 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

My friend and I visited Botany Bay last May and were amazed at how beautiful it is! The walk from the parking area to the beach is 1/2 mile or less and a very easy walk across a boardwalk. We were there at low tide and saw plenty of birds & crabs. The shells aren't growing on trees, but people find beautiful shells and then place them hanging on trees or on fallen trees, since you aren't allowed to remove anything from the beach. After our walk on the beach we completed the driving tour, where we saw an alligator cooling off in the gardener's shed! I've visited almost every beach in SC and I think Botany Bay is the most beautiful beach anywhere around here! It's definitely worth the drive!

17. Re: Botany Bay and Edisto Island State Park with a 4 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 06, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Edisto Island