We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would Edisto be like in late March?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What would Edisto be like in late March?

I've never been to Edisto Island, but reading different reviews of the location it seems like what we are looking for. My husband and I (no kids, pets will stay home) will be vacationing March 23rd-March 29th to celebrate our third wedding anniversary.

The only time I have ever been to the ocean was late March 2007 when we went to Tybee Island, GA. The weather was perfect and we were able to swim in the ocean. We both loved how quiet the island was and enjoyed being able to walk to the beach and local restaurants and shops.

We will likely either drive there from Illinois or rent a car if we fly. Also, if we were to fly, what would be the nearest airport to Edisto?

Also, would Atwood Vacations be a reputable company to rent from? I searched their site for available rentals and have found a couple that are very affordable. I have had trouble in the past getting a rental for less than one week. A hotel would also be ok or a small inn. We would like to keep the trip inexpensive (though we haven't yet planned a budget).

I know I have a lot of questions now and I'm sure I will have more later. Any responses will be appreciated! TIA!

~M

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
522 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would Edisto be like in late March?

Weather will be comparable to Tybee. I do recommend bringing layers. Our weather that time of year can be variable. It can be 80 degrees one day and 55 degrees the next! While cold snaps do not generally occur in late March, they are not unheard of either. Personally, the water that time of year is still too cold for me (in the 60s) but as a native of the Lowcountry, I do not have much of a tolerance for cold anyway.

The nearest airport is Charleston (SC) International, which is approximately 45-50 miles away. If you don't drive, you will definitely need to rent a car.

Atwood is a very reputable company. Other ones you might want to check out are Edisto Realty & Kapps-Lyons Realty; they are the major agencies that handle most of the rentals in Edisto. The only rentals available at Edisto are houses or condos. There are no hotels, inns, or B&B's. As March is still in the offseason, you should be able to work out a rental for less than a week (it is really up to the owner of each property). You might also want to check out Wyndham Resorts website for condo rentals.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would Edisto be like in late March?

Thanks for the information!

I've also seen some good rental prices on VRBO. We've never rented a condo or house for a trip, but it seems like the obvious plan if we go to Edisto.

~M

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
160 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would Edisto be like in late March?

Edistotiger is right on the mark with everything.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would Edisto be like in late March?

Thanks for all of the information. We've had to decrease our vacation budget and have found Jacksonville, FL to be more cost effective this time around. Hopefully we can make it to Edisto another time.

~M

5. Re: What would Edisto be like in late March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, October 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Edisto Island