We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time

CLINTON, NC
2 posts
Save Topic
First Time

My family and I are leaving 12-22-07. We are all excited about the trip, but I know that my children will not enjoy a bug issue. If this happens, do they put you somewhere else to stay? We are going on vacation and we expect to enjoy ourselves without bugs.I expect the resort to be nice and clean due to the fact that we pay maintenance fees that just increased so that that can keep the resorts nice and clean. We are staying at Ocean Ridge too. So I hope that their personnel check their websites often to aviod any issues. Please provide feedback and recommendations.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,755 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time

Hi, I am not familiar with Edisto, but I live part time on Kiawah, which is just to the north.

At this time of year you will not have any problem with the mosquitoes or with the no-see-ums that pester us in the summer. You will, however, see some bugs, which are just a fact of life in the temperate coastal areas.

So-called "Palmetto Bugs" look like giant roaches, but they are NOT (i.e. in no way) associated with uncleanliness. These harmless creatures live outdoors throughout the year, and they do come into homes. Most people use regular pest control services to keep them under control. Therefore, you will probably see some dead ones here and there.

Don't worry about the PB's unless they are present in huge numbers, and disturbing your children. Call your management company, and they will send someone round to deal with the bugs. You cannot completely escape the Palmetto Bugs, so just learn to accept and deal with them. You are much more of a problem to them than they are to you.

Have fun!

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
520 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time

This time of year bugs will not be an issue. You should have no problems in that department.

Ocean Ridge now has (I think) one enclosed pool; that will be your only swimming option. It can be breezy & cool on the beach; still great for walks & shelling as long as you have a warm jacket. There are nature trails in the state park that are level and easy for hiking or bike riding. Biking is an enjoyable activity in Edisto all year round, as is fishing.

It will be very quiet down there; this is the "down" season, which means it will be primarily full-time residents down there this time of year. All of the restaurants should still be operating (although some may have restricted hours for the holidays). You might want to consider a day trip into Charleston for the kids, maybe to the Aquarium.

3. Re: First Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, September 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Edisto Island