We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar/Thrifty Car Rental @ CAE Airport - DO NOT USE THEM!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dollar/Thrifty Car Rental @ CAE Airport - DO NOT USE THEM!

Hi all, just wanted to post a warning to anyone traveling in the Columbia, SC area. Do not rent from GSP Transportation (which runs Dollar and Thirfty out of the Columbia airport). I traveled here in July 2011 and rented a car from them for one day. I did not opt to take insurance, and long story short, they claimed I scratched their car (which I assuredly did not - I thoroughly inspected the car prior to dropping off). The customer service is TERRIBLE - from the moment I returned the car, where there was no attendant in the lot OR at the kiosk inside the airport, to the months of phone calls and emails to the customer service desk and claims department - my calls and emails were never returned. All I wanted was to discuss this matter with the company, and I could not even get the courtesy of a return phone call from anyone other than their collection agency, which had no knowledge of the alleged claim. Quite frankly, I am contemplating taking them to small claims court. In the meantime, though, unless you want to be the victim of potential insurance fraud at worst, or the worst customer service ever at best, I highly recommend avoiding this company. Please note I am not a hate-poster - feel free to check out all my other reviews (username ericafowler). I just want to warn potential travelers away from this company - ignore at your own peril!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar/Thrifty Car Rental @ CAE Airport - DO NOT USE THEM!

Interesting! Your only positive reviews showed up the same date you posted this.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar/Thrifty Car Rental @ CAE Airport - DO NOT USE THEM!

Not true! I joined in September with a glowing review about the Chester Residence in Edinburgh.

I am only trying to help fellow travelers by reporting on my own experiences, same as anyone else. If credibility on Trip Advisor is determined by length of membership and number of posts, than only time will tell, yes? In the meantime, said credibility is only built by continuing to post reviews.

To that end, I can assure you that, as an avid traveler, I care far more about establishing credibility on this site than I do about using it to ream one company and then disappear entirely. I do hope you'll take my word for that - but if not, then let time and other travelers' consensus be the judge.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar/Thrifty Car Rental @ CAE Airport - DO NOT USE THEM!

This seems over the top. If you rented with a credit card, the card company should cover the damage. Your personal auto insurance might cover the damage. You don't need to be fighting this - get their damage estimate and turn it over to your card company or insurance agency, and let them fight it out.

You have nothing to take them to small claims court over, so calm down. Once you calm down, you might want to consider talking to the Columbia area BBB, and especially to the airport management firm.

As to credibility: you're throwing it away with every adverb. Express yourself in the fewest words possible!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar/Thrifty Car Rental @ CAE Airport - DO NOT USE THEM!

I didn't catch the Dec 27th and Sept 27th difference in your reviews. My bad. However, I was mainly basing my opinion on the negative and mostly self-induced main issue with the Swan and Dolphin. I understand being unhappy with dirty sheets which you should have asked to have corrected or be swapped to yet another room and you didn't mention how or if the hotel resolved that issue. Leaving your netbook in the room and unsecured at checkout was your own fault and while in a perfect world it shouldn't have disappeared, in the real world you can likely kiss something like that goodbye. I wouldn't blame the hotel for my mistake. That review smacks of the type I see when someone has an issue and digs for every little thing they can to try to inflate their misery and make the hotel look bad. I don't even leave my device chargers in my room now because I had those stolen once.

I agree with mikestone, you have a lot of options available to resolve your issue with Dollar. Why you have dragged it out this long is beyond me. I'm curious exactly how much they were charging you for the scratch since you never mentioned an amount. Start with your credit card company and at the least dispute the charge for the scratch. Then go from there. Try to resist going into a rant in the future and just state the facts and you'll be more credible. The title of your post speaks volumes about your intentions and attitude. Maybe you're just frustated but I encourage you to take a step back and think a minute before you hit the 'submit" button in the future.

5. Re: Dollar/Thrifty Car Rental @ CAE Airport - DO NOT USE THEM!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, January 20, 2013