We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Columbia

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
49 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Columbia

Hello, My husband and I wil be spending a week in the Columbia area over Christmas. We are looking for a restaurant open on Christmas Day and also for day activities. We've never been to your area before, but have heard it's quite lovely. Hope to get some good suggestions. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Columbia

Be sure to check out the South Carolina State House and the grounds of the University of South Carolina (the original campus is called the horseshoe). The Columbia Museum of Art is an outstanding facility right on Main Street in downtown. The Riverwalk Park in Cayce (across the River from Columbia) is very attractive, too.

Beyond Columbia, you may want to check out Congaree National Park, which is less than 45 minutes from downtown. You could also easily take a day trip down to beautiful Charleston (90 minute's drive) or check out Greenville and its wonderful downtown.

Hope you enjoy your time in South Carolina and merry Christmas to you...

Mentioned in this post
South Carolina State House
South Carolina State...
525 Reviews
Columbia, SC
University of South Carolina
University of South...
380 Reviews
Columbia, SC
Columbia Museum of Art
Columbia Museum of Art
210 Reviews
Columbia, SC
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Congaree National Park
Congaree National Park
405 Reviews
Hopkins, SC
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Greenville
Greenville
South Carolina
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
288 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Columbia

If you enjoy Christmas lights/decorations you definitely need to drive through Saluda Shoals Park to view their lights. I believe that is $10 per car. Riverbanks Zoo is also decorated with Christmas lights, etc. and is a fun thing to do over the holidays but it's not open on Christmas day. I would also recommend the State Museum which usually has some type of special exhibit in addition to the regular museum exhibits. They have a nice gift shop there also. I also like the Riverwalk Park in Cayce for walking, jogging. I'm not sure which restaurants will be open, but probably some of the hotels will have buffets on Christmas day.

Mentioned in this post
Saluda Shoals Park
Saluda Shoals Park
196 Reviews
Columbia, SC
South Carolina State Museum
South Carolina State...
546 Reviews
Columbia, SC
Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Columbia

In addition to all the things mentioned above, we also have a really good children's museum right downtown if you have any children/grandchildren. My parents like to come down and just walk around the Vista area downtown - lots of restaurants/bars/boutique shops.

Not sure you will find many restaurants open on Christmas, but as someone mentioned above, usually some local hotels open their doors. I know the Clarion on Gervais St usually has meals on holidays.

Have a great trip!

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
49 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Columbia

Thanks so much for all the great ideas! I'm sure we'll have a great time in your area. We're getting pretty excited. Does anyone have any suggestions as to locally owned restaurants? We like all kinds of food, not fancy ones, just good food.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Columbia

I like Mr. Friendly's and Motor Supply. Gervais and Vine is a favorite of my friends.

You might want to check out the reviews here on the forum. On the left hand side of this page click on "restaurants". There are reviews, phone numbers and maps. You'll want to call ahead to see when places close for the holiday.

If you'd like a side trip and you have the time, I highly recommend visiting Bishopville to see Pearl Fryar. His place will be really festive!

http://www.pearlfryar.com/

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Columbia

Plenty of excellent locally owned restaurants. In the Vista area - Blue Marlin, Motor Supply, Gervais and Vine, Mojitos, etc. In the Five Points area, Garibaldis or Mr. Friendly's. Others include Dianne's and DiPrato's.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Marlin
Blue Marlin
1,250 Reviews
Columbia, SC
7. Re: Christmas in Columbia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:40 am, June 03, 2011