We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

attending son's army graduation

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
attending son's army graduation

Need help in finding a 3 or 4 star hotel to stay in for son's army graduation. Any suggestions?

Joseph, OR
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: attending son's army graduation

I attended my son's graduation with a friend, and we ended up staying at Chestnut House Bed and Breakfast, which is a historic house where Confederate General Jefferson Davis once stayed.

It was great, because we combined sightseeing and exploring the history of Columbia area with attending the graduation.

However, the room wasn't cheap and many people would probably prefer the amenities of a hotel.

Extras at Chestnut Cottage were a whirlpool bathtub and a computer set up in our room (Jefferson Davis Room) with Internet access and a printer, as well as home cooked breakfast in the morning.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: attending son's army graduation

As others have pointed out, Columbia is far from the sprawling metropolitan sort of place you're probably accustomed to in San Diego. You can get to just about any place in Richland County inside of half an hour. So don't sweat not being right next door to "the Fort." There are also some decent hotels along Two Notch Rd, which is part of US 1 and connects easily to Interstates 77 and 20. That's on the northeast side of Columbia, just a short hop up 77 from the Fort. Among the other hotels there are the newly-renovated Holiday Inn Northeast, and AmeriSuites. Close by 77 in the other direction is a big Days Inn. Downtown is also most definitely an option, and not only for the Marriott.

It's been mentioned already that this post is showing its age (LOL) but the same info holds true. For all this civilian knows, there could be Army "graduations" several times a year.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: attending son's army graduation

Didn't know that about our President Jefferson Davis.. but he wasn't a General. That distinction is reserved for the Honourable Robert E. Lee.. ;) Y'all take care.

United States
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: attending son's army graduation

Hey all (ladies) what are you wearing to the graduations?? cuz i guess its supposed to rain where i am...and i dont know how dressy this is supposed to be...please reply!!

15. Re: attending son's army graduation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 am, September 09, 2009