We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions?

Little Rock, Ar
2 posts
Save Topic
Any suggestions?

A couple of buddies of mine, and myself are looking to get away for a few days to Charleston. I'm looking for any suggestions for a few guys in their mid twenties to stay, places to have a beer or two, or places we can just lounge around and act like beach bums.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggestions?

Well I dont know anywhere except for Myrtle Beach so if that is what you are talking about I would stay at the Beach Colony Resort or something like that!

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any suggestions?

Yeah, consider MB or Hilton Head. They're all about being beach resorts. Charleston itself is full of historic sites, and families and tourists there to see them. The beach areas close in are geared toward the same trade, which means miles of houses and condos and golf courses but not a whole lot of attractions for single guys. Sure, you can party up a storm in Charleston, but at closing time you can't stagger back to a beach house! At least at MB, more so on Hilton Head, you can have the best of all worlds. Nowhere did I see you mention any interest in visiting Civil War forts or beautiful restored plantations, LOL...so why stick around Charleston once you're off the plane? If I were in your shoes I'd fly into Savannah, rent wheels, and hook up a townhouse rental at Hilton Head.

spensworld@yahoo.com

Little Rock, Ar
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any suggestions?

Well, I'm an architect and another friend of mine is in construction management, so historically speaking, visiting charleston is something we've wanted to do. Beach bum wasn't a good term, but is Charleston a good place to lay back for a few days, or should we head up the coast a little ways?

hartsville, sc
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any suggestions?

There are lots of hotels downtown within walking distance of great restaurants and bars. The Mills House, Vendue Inn, Meeting Street Inn just to name a few. If you decide on Charleston go have a few beers at The Roof Top Bar on top of the Vendue Inn, a martini at The Club Habana on Meeting Street and many more places to just stop in for a drink. Also, go out to The Isle of Palms and there are several places to relax at the beach and be a beach bum. It is a short drive from downtown Charleston.

sumter,sc
Level Contributor
263 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any suggestions?

The embassy suites is a good place to lounge around. It use to be the old citadel. Kinda neat inside. Plus the free cook to order breakfast and the evening reception is a big plus. Downtown Charleston is not really "beachy".. so you may want head to Myrtle Beach. But if you play golf... Wild Dunes is an excellent start..

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
568 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any suggestions?

I say skip the drive to Myrtle Beach. There's plenty of fun in Charleston and the beaches are fabulous here and more beautiful because they are all on barrier islands. Unless you are looking for a Vegas at the beach minus gambling. If so, then Myrtle Beach is the place to go. They have plenty of miniature golf, outlet shopping, neon lights, etc.

In Charleston, Isle of Palms has the best beach entertainment in that they have several bars, restaurants right on the beach.

It's about 15 minutes from dowtown. There are also a few hotels on the Isle of Palms if you prefer to stay at the beach.

Downtown, just walk down East Bay Street, Market Street or King Street for plenty of live music, great bars, and good nightlife. It's a walking town, so no need to catch cabs to go from bar to bar. If you get too tired to walk, just catch a pedi-cab (bicycle with carriage that seat 2-3 adults)

You may be interested in the Blind Tiger, a old speak easy from prohibition days still running as a bar/restaurant. They still have the back staircase from their outside patio where customers could duck out if the police came.

There are too many cool places in Charleston to list them all. If you have any specific questions, i.e. best Southern Fare, best bar for live music, best single scene, etc. just let me know. elizabethgordon@mvalaw.com