We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

Hi, I'm planning a business trip to Charleston in late February, and was wondering if y'all could help me select a restaurant or two (or five or six...).

First off you should know that one in our party is a vegetarian. But we are looking for perhaps a nice upscale meal in the downtown area only. I've been to Charleston a few times, so I'm a little familiar. I've eaten at the Oak (fantastic-- but again you don't take a veggie to somewhere famous for their steaks) and Magnolia (also very good), but am looking to try something new. Our budget is perhaps $50 a plate, but a great meal we don't mind paying more.

And maybe if y'all could suggest one midprice dinner place as well, where it won't break the bank ($20 per person maybe?).

We'll also be eating lunch in downtown, so a point in the right direction would be appreciated. We don't need a fancy lunch spot, just someplace with good food and we're not picky about where-- other than we want it to be downtown and don't want to eat at a chain.

We'd also like to avoid the usual tourist traps, so probably not Hyman's Seafood. We're looking to get a local flavor of Charleston and don't want to stand in line for mass-produced food. A good Southern cooking place or barbecue (our veggie will just have to deal with it) is a must for at least one of these meals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oyster Point Historic Walking Tours
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Palmetto Carriage Works
Sightseeing Tours, Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours
Charleston Harbor Tours
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Charleston in a Nutshell
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

Thanks for the link-- I'll forward it on to my party.

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

Had a superb meal in 82 Queen last fall

NC
Level Contributor
582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

At Poogan's Porch I usually get the lunch special. It is usually some low country staple like shrimp and grits or gumbo.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

poogan's porch is outstanding, fresh seafood, great breakfast, charming servers with the right attitude, and an attentive yet pleasingly proud ambiance. we ate lunch once and breakfast twice and were delighted each visit. but don't get a parking ticket out front, so you are fore warmed. if it's good enough for claude akins it's good enough for you. go!!!!, you'll love it!

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

All of these suggestions sound great. I'll forward all of this info on to my party and let them decide, but y'all have been very helpful.

I'll post a trip report after our visit and let you know how it was.

Thanks again.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

No need to spend $50 a plate at Sermet's Corner, but you would think you did-it is amazing.

They have lovely options for vegetarins.

Also try Coast-it is behind Rue de Jean on John Street. The seafood is amazing.

17. Re: Planning a Charleston Trip-- Restaurant Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 25, 2009