We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four hours in Charleston

Kentucky
Level Contributor
263 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Four hours in Charleston

I plan to spend just one afternoon and obviously need to maximize my time; interested in just walking cobblestones through history (architecture) vs. "tourtisty" stuff like shopping and eating, although I wouldn't mind picking up a to-go of good southern cooking. Where would local/experts recommend I park and go from there (route)? Is hopping the shuttle recommended, or can the high points be seen on the hoof (I'm a hiker)? Give me the perimeters; thanks.

Savannah Bee Company
Gift & Specialty Shops
Graffito
Art Galleries, Gift & Specialty Shops
Corneau Goldsmithing Jewelry Gallery
Art Galleries, Gift & Specialty Shops
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four hours in Charleston

High points can definitely be seen on the hoof. If you do some reading and study a map before you go, hoofing it may actually be the best way to see Charleston. I do recommend that you stop at the Visitors Center on Meeting Street for information, discount tickets, etc. You can park your car there and take the on/off shuttle into the historic district. Then you get off and walk. If you get hungry, you can grab a quick bite around the market or at a sandwish shop on King Street, but most of the really delicious lowcountry/southern cooking will require going into one of the many wonderful restaurants.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
1,260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four hours in Charleston

circle the battery in your car then head down east bay st to park. then walk the slave market. 4 hours si not near enough time. if you find extra tiem call the charleston pedi-cab and take a tour by rick shaw.

3. Re: Four hours in Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 24, 2009