We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Downtown/Historic Area Hotel Advice

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
165 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Need Downtown/Historic Area Hotel Advice

My husband and I are planning a trip to Charleston in August for our anniversary. I definitely want to stay in the historic area of Charleston, but am trying to find the best value for our money. After I got over the sticker shock, I think I've narrowed it down to 4 hotels: Mills House, Francis Marion, King Charles Inn, or Hampton Inn. I'm trying to stay around $250 or less per night. In what order would you all rank these? I would like to be within a short walking distance of restaurants and things to do, but also have a nice place to stay. I got a quote for the Francis Marion that's around $200 cheaper in total than the other 3 hotels. Is it worth it? I've heard it may be in some need of updating.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Downtown/Historic Area Hotel Advice

Mills House

King Charles Inn

Hampton Inn

Francis Marion

The FM is really tired, I'd choose any of the other 3 first. I did list in order my suggestions.

You'll have a great time here for your anniversary.

We've just become so darned popular the past few years that there is no "off season" and prices stay up there all year round.

Oh, and these hotels are all in the Historic District, Downtown is a different part of town, that is not walkable to any of the places you will want to be.

Edited: 1:36 pm, May 20, 2014
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,917 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Downtown/Historic Area Hotel Advice

Francis Marion is a much older hotel, built in a time when rooms were quite small. Plus, it is time for an update as well.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
995 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Downtown/Historic Area Hotel Advice

I'm not weighing in on choices, but I do believe King Charles has free parking, if that makes a difference. Please check to confirm though.

And from the lobby and bar areas, what I've seen of Mills House is very nice, sophisticated and historic, so probably more or better atmosphere than Days Inn or Hampton - but I don't know for sure.

Edited: 2:18 pm, May 20, 2014
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
165 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Downtown/Historic Area Hotel Advice

Thanks for the advice! Lindajwink, the King Charles does have free parking. The quote I got puts the King Charles $20 cheaper than the Mills House (including parking) so not too big of a difference.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Downtown/Historic Area Hotel Advice

Mills House

Hampton Inn

King Charles

Francis Marion

Raleigh, North...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Downtown/Historic Area Hotel Advice

We rented a fabulous vacation rental instead of a hotel in Nov 2013 and it was the best decision to do so. The costs were less expensive than many hotels in the historic district especially since hotels charge up to $15.00 a day for parking in their lots. If you go to Trip Advisor under the heading Vacation Rentals and click on the descrip "Perfect Location in Downtown Historic" this was the condo unit (on ground floor) my husband & I rented. Absolutely gorgeous, off street, secure parking (incl in price),very private, quiet and the best location for walking everywhere in the Historic District. We parked our car and did not use it until the day we left. The owner's name is Patricia and she does an outstanding job playing the perfect hostess with flowers & wine put out for our arrival. She responds immediately to any inquiries & is awesome to deal with. I believe cost per night runs around $247.00 and is well worth it. This is a very quaint place and you will be very happy you chose it. We are returning in Nov. 2014 and wouldn't stay anywhere else. Good luck!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Downtown/Historic Area Hotel Advice

Mills House is in a great location, across the street from two popular restaurants and supposedly haunted!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Downtown/Historic Area Hotel Advice

Mills. House is in a great location, across the street from some popular restaurants and is supposedly haunted!

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
116 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Downtown/Historic Area Hotel Advice

Î checked into the Francis Marion today for our first trip to Charleston, and I'm not at all put off by any age in the property. The room we are in is not expansive, but it is not cramped. The only issue is that we wanted a king bed room with a rollaway, but they said the fire code wouldn't allow a rollaway in our original room so we now have two doubles - I've been in much smaller hotel rooms. It is an older property so the windows are not huge and the bathroom is small, but this is just fine.

If you want significant luxury, it may not fit your bill unless you get a suite, but it have no complaints.

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Downtown/Historic Area Hotel Advice

Sorry that this is a little bit off topic but we are booked for the Embassy suites in the historic district. Does anyone have feedback on this regarding the location or anything else for that matter? We are traveling with kids so definitely want a larger suite type room and this seems to fit the bill.

Reviews seem good but overall it's only the 38th of 76 hotels in Charleston so thAt had me wondering.