We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours...???

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Tours...???

Hi, I have been reading all of the information here and I am now more confused than ever...

We will be going to Charleston/Folly Beach for 5 days in July (19th - 24th) and I know it will be hot. I worry about the walking tours with the heat and have looked at some of the motorized tours. Some bundle the historical tours with other things and I am not real sure which ones are good and which ones aren't. It may be that they are all good, but with so many choices I feel like I am planning a trip to Walt Disney World.

So far I know we are going to do the following:

Carriage Ride

Ghost Tour

Shopping

Fishing for Hubby

Plantations and House tours

Any guidance would be appreciated! I am from the south so I know heat and would like to minimize it where I can if at all possible. There are just so many companies that do the same thing, but are they really the same???

HELP!!!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,654 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours...???

The Gullah Tour with Alphonso Brown is conducted in a comfortable, air conditioned, passenger van. This tour, with specific focus on Gullah (African American) experience of and contribution to Charleston is excellent! Other than that, I would take a look at offerings by Gray Line tours.

Although July will be hot and humid, I still recommend a walking tour, so you can get into all the narrow passages and courtyards where vans cannot go. Experiencing Charleston at street level is a must. Dress in loose comfortable clothing, wear sunglasses and hat, and take a bottle of water.

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours...???

for fishing give Capt Danny @ Knot stressed Charters a call

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours...???

Schedule your tours as early in the morning as possible, including your visits to the plantations. Get the energetic stuff out of the way and relax in the afternoon, after a nice lunch somewhere. Same w/the carriage tour, if it gets too hot, they shut the tours down, too rough on the animals.

Alphonso Brown, mentioned above, does a fantastic job.

For a walking tour, we like Ed Grimball, not sure if he's walking in the middle of summer though.

4. Re: Tours...???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 02, 2015