We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just starting to plan trip to Charleston...

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Just starting to plan trip to Charleston...

My husband and I (young...65,64 !) are thinking of doing a long weekend in Charleston in September. I have just started looking at this forum for ideas, etc.

I was looking at the Charleston Visitors and Convention site to make sure we don't plan dates around a big festival, conference, etc. - to avoid those sort of crowds, but, I can't seem to find anything for September. Does anyone have a good link? Does anyone know if there will be these types of events in September - so we could adjust dates away from them?

Thanks!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
995 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just starting to plan trip to Charleston...

There's a previous thread here with that topic. I think it's Dates to Avoid.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,575 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just starting to plan trip to Charleston...

If you have not already done so... look to the right side of this page for Top Questions About Charleston. This will give you lots of info on what is available to see and do in the area. Once you have some ideas we can help you narrow it down. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any specific events in Sept. However, it is still a very busy time here, not "off season" if you were expecting that.

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just starting to plan trip to Charleston...

Thanks to each of you for your replies. Yes, I have already accessed the links to the right . I have used the 'right links' in all of our trip planning..... and I, too, suggest on other forums that posters utilize the links as they are so helpful.

I haven't had a chance to find the link Lindajwink offered - I did see it as I was quickly scrolling through the forum yesterday, so I will find it again and read it.

Rest assured, as I begin the planning process in depth I will be back for more detailed questions.

Thanks

(We're not really looking for 'off season' - just didn't want to run into a 'mega-convention' type of atmosphere if that makes sense!!)

Edited: 8:26 am, April 07, 2014
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,575 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just starting to plan trip to Charleston...

Most of our really big events are in the spring time, so you should be fairly safe. :-) Glad to know that you often use the Top Questions section, so many people are totally unaware of it. It will still be pretty hot in September, especially the first 2 weeks. We will be happy to help you narrow down the details as you plan.

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just starting to plan trip to Charleston...

endosunshine...... I saw your post of "Dates to avoid"..... most helpful. I also saw referrenced the Citadel.

By any chance (not being familiar with it except for what I read briefly) are there football games that they hold that would cause an influx of crowds....or is that not a big deal? I went to their website, to their calendar and didn't see anything for September.

Thank you so much!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,428 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just starting to plan trip to Charleston...

The Citadel is closer to Downtown than to the Historic District, won't cause any problems, as far as congestion or influx of people.

I've never heard of any issues at all when there are games, anyway.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just starting to plan trip to Charleston...

Many of the hotels book up and some restaurants on game weekends. The traffic congestion is usually only around the campus and stadium area.

great neck
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just starting to plan trip to Charleston...

Does anyone know a good place to hear jazz in Charleston, S.C.? Are there any free areas to hear jazz? If not, that's okay too.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just starting to plan trip to Charleston...

Realtor, please start a new thread. You'll get current recommendations.

10. Re: Just starting to plan trip to Charleston...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 15, 2015