We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

breakfast in Charleston

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atco, New Jersey
Level Contributor
73 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
breakfast in Charleston

My husband and I will be arriving in Charleston on Sunday, Aug. 6 and leaving on Friday the 11th. We're looking for a great place for breakfast/brunch. I wasn't sure if the restaurants offered brunch on weekdays or if it was just a Sunday offering.

Also, if we were to see just one plantation, which one would be the best?

Is there a great club/bar where we could go for a few drinks and quiet music that's open late? (we are both in our late 50's).

Thanks!!!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: breakfast in Charleston

Although I love Drayton Hall Plantation for its authenticity, if you can visit only one, I think you should see Middleton Place. The house and grounds are truly magnificent, and there is a lovely restaurant where you can have lunch or dinner.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: breakfast in Charleston

I agree with the vote for Middleton Place and the restaurant there!

As for breakfast, I am going to assume you are staying downtown. Joseph's has a nice breakfast. They are near the corner of Meeting and Queen Streets. I'm sure the hotels also have nice breakfasts during the week. Try the Baker's Cafe on King Street.

Not sure about quiet music/open late. Maybe the bar in Charleston Place hotel.

Have a great trip!

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: breakfast in Charleston

Try the Sweetwater Cafe which is not far from the market. They had delicious blueberry pancakes; they also served great hash browns, eggs, steak...all at a reasonable price.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: breakfast in Charleston

Sweetwater is good, but Poogan's Porch is excellent and fun with a fabulous breakfast. (there is supposedly a ghost dog in the restaurant)

There are several places downtown. my favorite for a semi-low key bar is the Pavilion Bar at the Market Pavilion Hotel. It is a rooftop bar with a great view. Very romantic and sophisticated.

There is also Roof Top Bar Vendue Inn 19 Vendue Range Charleston, SC 29401

If I weren't about to leave for hawaii, I'd tell you I'm jealous. My heart is in Charleston. It is such a wonderful city. Have a fabulous time!

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: breakfast in Charleston

I like to read the different opinions people have about restaurants. I read the previous poster's thoughts on Poogan's Porch. When we visited Charleston, that restaurant was one of the places we had marked to eat at- I had seen the ad in the Suth Carolina visitors' magazine. However, I was extrememly disappointed (especially with their fried green tomatoes). I thought the food was overrated and very expensive. But, I think that is part the fun of visiting different places...try it once...go on if it doesn't appeal to you... you don't have to go back. If you do go to Poogan's Porch, I hope you enjoy your meal.

USA
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: breakfast in Charleston

A word of warning on Sweetgrass.

I stop by every time I'm in Charleston, I agree they have great breakfast and other items (I like the chicken pita). When I dont want to spend much and want a good meal I know it's usually a safe bet. Sweetgrass is tiny but has a great diner vibeplus you can see where they cook the food.

Ok so on to the warning..

Every time I have gone it has been very clean.

This last time it was atrociously dirty... seriously it was gross. The bathroom was greasy, dingy, with a muddy wet floor, and smelled gross. The restaurant was HOT and the floors had food and grime all over it. About the only thing that was clean.... were the tables. The kitchen area looked ok so we went ahead and ate. It wasn’t as good this time either.

With that said I would give them another chance because they are usually consistently good and the servers are nice.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
317 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: breakfast in Charleston

I agree with QTR about Poogan's Porch. It is overly recommended on this board. I have eaten there several times because my friends visiting always want to go, but everytime I go there, I think, "why do people come here". To me, it is overpriced for the quality of food, and service you get. But, to others it must be good...I would tend to recommend other places.

Pick up a City Paper (not the post and courier) that has listings of the local bands and clubs performing at different bars.

I recommend Middleton Plantation for only 1 trip to a plantation.

Oh, and Charleston Place has a great breakfast/brunch.

ny
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: breakfast in Charleston

Loved High Cotton for Sunday Brunch.. Shrimp & Grits were fantastic !

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: breakfast in Charleston

The Mill's House Hotel has a very good breakfast buffet every day and a brunch on Sunday's. McCrady's has a wonderful wine bar with live jazz music. It's great atmosphere!

10. Re: breakfast in Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 14, 2009