We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far from Folly Beach?

Boston
Level Contributor
975 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
How far from Folly Beach?

My son's baseball team is staying at the Charleston Oceanfront Villas for a spring break tournament. If we stay "in Charleston", how far a drive is that from Folly Beach? Is there public access to the beach if you aren't staying on Folly Beach?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Adventure Sightseeing
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Palmetto Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Oyster Point Historic Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Lowcountry Legends
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,487 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far from Folly Beach?

As best I can tell.... they are actually located on Folly Beach. The entire island is only about 6.5 miles long by .5 miles wide.

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far from Folly Beach?

If you stay in the historic district, the drive to Folly will be about 20 minutes in off-season traffic, but possibly much longer in the height of summer beach traffic ... depending upon the time of day.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far from Folly Beach?

Charleston Oceanfront Villas is on Folly Beach. Where is the baseball tournament?

Peninsular Charleston is about 9 miles from Center Street on Folly Beach. Not a bad drive except during commuter hours - it can take an hour to get from Folly to downtown between 7:30 and 8:30, similar drive times after work. Where is the tournament?

As to beach access, in South Carolina everything below the high tide mark is public. There are lots of access points on Folly, small parking lots at almost every terminus street. There are meters, don't gripe, just pay it. That's how the town pays for trash removal.

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,487 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far from Folly Beach?

Oops, I think I misunderstood your question.

When is the spring break? If it coincides with local spring break, the beaches will be much more active, adding to traffic.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
995 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How far from Folly Beach?

If you stayed in West Ashley, across the Ashley River from Charleston on the peninsula, you would be closer to Folly Beach, and a few miles from the historic district.

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Boston
Level Contributor
975 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far from Folly Beach?

A belated thanks, all; very helpful information!

I wasn't clear in my description; the team is staying on Folly Beach, supervised by the coaches; I am trying to find accommodations for my husband and myself that would be cheaper than the condos. The tournament is likely held at area high schools.

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,852 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far from Folly Beach?

West Ashley or Ripley Marina will be the closest to Folly Beach, if that's what you are looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
8. Re: How far from Folly Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, February 07, 2015