We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home rental in historic district

Cedar Hill, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Home rental in historic district

Three friends and I are planning a Charleston trip in May, 2014. We travel together regularly and always try to rent a private home with 3-4 bedrooms. We'd like to be within walking distance of the historic district although we will rent a car for the week., as well. It sounds like the historic district is from Calhoun St. South. Any suggestions you can provide would be appreciated!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,451 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home rental in historic district

I suspect it will be very difficult to find such a thing. Most rentals are small carriage houses, apartment type affairs. An entire house in the HD would likely be extremely expensive, if anything was available short term like that. Can't offer any suggestions, but good luck.

Cedar Hill, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Home rental in historic district

We may need to broaden our search. I saw a very nice and reasonably priced home in the historic district of Elliotborough. It looks to be west of King and east of Stephen Clark Pkwy. Is this a good area and convenient to downtown?

Cedar Hill, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Home rental in historic district

We may need to broaden our search. I saw a very nice and reasonably priced home in the historic district of Elliotborough. It looks to be west of King and east of Stephen Clark Pkwy. Is this a good area and convenient to downtown?

Edited: 4:56 pm, January 01, 2014
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Home rental in historic district

Check out Restoration on King, might work for you, maybe a couple of 2 room suites...

http://www.restorationonking.com/

Mentioned in this post
The Restoration
The Restoration
1,075 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,451 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Home rental in historic district

Elliotborough is not a part of what is traditionally designated as historic district. Area is wildly variable, some areas significantly less than desirable. I would have to know an exact location to provide better info.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Home rental in historic district

I live in Elliotborough and it's downtown (the whole downtown vs. Historic District thing on here drives me nuts because it's a small peninsula and it's not like downtown is on the other side of the moon) and, in most areas, a pretty short and easy walk to Upper King.

While there are some areas still experiencing gentrification, for the most part the area is pretty safe, especially since it is home to 2 hospitals and adjacent to the College of Charleston and so there are herds of students wandering around at all times of the year, so walking at night is pretty safe.

Since I live here, I don't do much (other than work) in the Historic District, mostly because there's so many great shops, bars, and restaurants a few blocks away.

Cedar Hill, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Home rental in historic district

Thanks for all the replies. The house looks like it's on Bogart Street, between Percy and Coming Street. It gets good reviews and one reviewer mentioned that it's near a new Piggly Wiggly and close to restaurants and bars. Sounds good,

but just not sure about the area and the convenience to Charleston must-sees and dos. Comments, anyone?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,451 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Home rental in historic district

The "historic district" is not an arbitrary term, as some people imply. That district is more closely aligned with what was the original walled city of Charleston from 1690 to1720. Other districts and/or boroughs are named after prominent citizens that in the area at the time or helped develop the area. Most (obviously) were expanded and settled after the original area.

The hospitals mentioned are not in Elliotborough. Then are in adjacent area, part of which is referred to as Radcliffeborough. Other areas on the peninsula include Ansonborough, Wraggborough, Harleston Village, French Quarter, etc.

Appears that it would be roughly 4 blocks from the former Piggly Wiggly. About roughly 15-18 blocks from the heart of the historic district. Approximately 2.5 miles from the Battery and White Point Park.

Cedar Hill, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Home rental in historic district

Thanks so much for the helpful comments and for the bit of Charleston history. I will continue to look at house rentals before making a final decision and may be back asking more questions!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,451 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Home rental in historic district

Ask away..... we do our best to help. :-)