We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to eat and get a feel for charleston with only 2 hours

NY
Level Contributor
390 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
place to eat and get a feel for charleston with only 2 hours

Hello all, will be flying into Charleston and will have maybe 2 or 3 hours to drive downtown for late breakfast/early lunch before having to leave town. Looking for a place to eat that gives the flavor of the town, kid friendly, and maybe we can walk a few blocks to get a feel. I know this is a very inadequate way to see Charleston, but it is a first visit, and the best we can do. Thanks for any advice.

Larry

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
843 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: place to eat and get a feel for charleston with only 2 hours

Hmmm...very limited window as you pointed out but with it I would probably do something like Magnolias. It is nice but is kid friendly and features lowcountry cuisine and Southern food. The location is the most important factor to me it is a block from the Charleston Harbor and Market St., a few blocks from the battery and most well known waterfront area of Charleston.

Mentioned in this post
Magnolias
Magnolias
6,184 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston Harbor Tours
Charleston Harbor Tours
2,758 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston
Charleston
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: place to eat and get a feel for charleston with only 2 hours

I agree with JTMay about the location! You definitely want to be in the historic district for your brief Charleston experience.

Well behaved children are welcomed at all Charleston restaurants. Magnolias is one of the best, if the menu suits your tastes. However, if your kids are not adventurous eaters, you might consider Fleet Landing (not top cuisine by Charleston standards, but not bad either), which offers a "kids menu" - http://www.fleetlanding.net/

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Magnolias
Magnolias
6,184 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Fleet Landing Restaurant
Fleet Landing Restaurant
4,864 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
995 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: place to eat and get a feel for charleston with only 2 hours

I was thinking Magnolia, Blossom, SNOB, or Coast - more of a seafood, casual place. I find Blossom to be slightly less formal/fancy than Magnolia, but similar. A walk around the market area, and also the Battery could be squeezed in too.

I recommend checking some menus before making a reservation to see if there's food a kid would like.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: place to eat and get a feel for charleston with only 2 hours

Drive down to the Battery and park. Pay attention to street signs - residential parking zones have a 1 or 2 hour limit, but there is unrestricted parking along Murray Blvd. Enjoy White Point Garden, walk on East Battery as far as Stolls Alley (you have to look for it, the sign is usually missing), through the alley to Church Street, and back down Church to White Point Garden. An hour or so & you'll have seen the part of the city you most want to see.

How old are the children? Convenient family-friendly retaurants in the mid-price range are Fleet Landing (waterfront), Toast or Griffon Pub (cozy), South End Brewery (teens love it). None of these are famous cuisine, but they're a significant cut above Noisy Oyster and the like. Magnolia's is very good, would be my suggestion if you want a memorable meal. Coast doesn't open for lunch.

Mentioned in this post
Church Street Inn
Church Street Inn
425 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Fleet Landing Restaurant
Fleet Landing Restaurant
4,864 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Griffon
Griffon
578 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Noisy Oyster
Noisy Oyster
1,191 Reviews
North Charleston, SC
NY
Level Contributor
390 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: place to eat and get a feel for charleston with only 2 hours

Wow, thanks everybody for the great information. My girls are 7 and 9 and are very well behaved seasoned travelers. They will behave just fine. They unfortunately are somewhat picky eaters! Will look into magnolias and fleet landing.

Larry

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: place to eat and get a feel for charleston with only 2 hours

You will want to ditch Myrtle once you see Charleston.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,546 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: place to eat and get a feel for charleston with only 2 hours

The food at Fleet Landing is only average, but if it what appeals to them, go for it. All the others mentioned will have better food.

Mentioned in this post
Fleet Landing Restaurant
Fleet Landing Restaurant
4,864 Reviews
Charleston, SC
8. Re: place to eat and get a feel for charleston with only 2 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, December 23, 2013
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,546 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: place to eat and get a feel for charleston with only 2 hours

You are NOT allowed to advertise on TA!

10. Re: place to eat and get a feel for charleston with only 2 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 25, 2014