We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston in November: help with lodging choices please

Palatine
Level Contributor
35 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston in November: help with lodging choices please

My family of 5 (no little kids--teens and adults) will be visiting from Nov 7-12. We are Midwesterners and love the sound and smells of the ocean. But I am not sure that we need to stay on the ocean. (is it too cold to swim?) We would love to see wildlife. I know that we will be doing daily sight seeing as well since this is our first time here. I prefer to rent from VRBO and similar sites. I have looked at homes in various locations from Folly Beach to James Island and other waterfront property. And I am confused.

Oh..and on Monday we are doing a college visit to CoC. Not sure that is relevant at this point...

Please share some things to consider when deciding where to stay. Budget is $300 per night.

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Palatine
Level Contributor
35 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Charleston in November: help with lodging choices please

Both HD location owners replied that one night is fine. There is a one-night open slot on their calendars that make it work for them.

We will have a car starting Thursday evening sometime. Walking or cab is fine until then.

We are now a group of 4. College student son cannot get away to join us. Remaining 2 teenagers are high school daughters who prefer Folly Beach to Kiawah (young, quirky, beach town vibe over quiet, family, nature). I agree that Folly is better for us since we are first-timers and will want to continue to tour the area during our stay at Folly. Although Kiawah matches my interests better, there is always next time. I have begun to research rentals in that area and ask for your opinions soon.

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,991 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Charleston in November: help with lodging choices please

Of the two VRBOs you are considering, the Rutledge Ave location is closer to CoC, interesting restaurants, and the historic district. The other location, near Hampton Park, is above the Septima Clark Parkway (Rt 17), which is a busy highway, with heavy commuter traffic, cutting right through the Charleston peninsula.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
995 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Charleston in November: help with lodging choices please

Fyi, I went for a swim at Folly Beach today, 10/30. Water temp was around 74, and air temp about 78. There were other people in bathing suits, and a couple of surfers in the water. Water was warmer than Maine ocean temps in the summer - 62 when I was there.

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Maine
Maine
United States
Palatine
Level Contributor
35 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Charleston in November: help with lodging choices please

Thanks for everyone. Rentals are all set. Can't wait to arrive. Next I will be working on a rough itinerary.

25. Re: Charleston in November: help with lodging choices please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 05, 2014