We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 Days in Charleston--First Timers!

Missouri
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
3-4 Days in Charleston--First Timers!

My husband & I are hoping to visit Charleston sometime late March-early April of 2014. We would like to stay somewhere with personality and also within the Historic District as we don't plan on renting a car (is this a good decision?) So...my question is, we would like to keep our lodging costs at $200-$250 per night. Is this doable? Any recommendations on where to start looking? We are good with B & B's and actually enjoy the charm of them...so they are an option as well.

Any help would be super beneficial! Thanks!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,487 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 Days in Charleston--First Timers!

You won't need a car unless you want to visit the plantations or a local beach. Lodging prices should be better in late March than April. April begins high season as flowers are blooming, etc. B & B's here are often higher in price than other options.

Look into ~ The Harborview, French Quarter Inn, The Vendue Inn for starters. Search the entire historic district, as you never know when one of the more expensive places will be offering a deal. When looking for hotels, be aware that "historic district" and "downtown" are NOT the same thing.

Mentioned in this post
French Quarter Inn
French Quarter Inn
3,092 Reviews
Charleston, SC
Missouri
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 Days in Charleston--First Timers!

Thanks for your quick response! How far in advance would you recommend booking our lodging? Are there deals as our trip gets closer?

Mandeville, LA
Level Contributor
466 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 Days in Charleston--First Timers!

I would suggest that you start using search engines to see what hotels/inns/BBs are available for your time period and in your price range. Then come back to the forum with specific lodging options that you would like input about. There are several "events" in the spring months and the prices of lodging go up accordingly. If you book directly with the hotel. most have a window of time prior to arrival that you can cancel and not be penalized. So...if you find something you like better or is lower in cost, then you have that option this far out. However, for dining, you may want to start you research now- after you have locked in your specific dates of stay- and go ahead and book some of you restaurants. However, you may only be able to book some 30 - 60 days out.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,487 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 Days in Charleston--First Timers!

I would book at least by January. Sometimes specials are offered, but it is just as likely that prices will go up. You will need to make restaurant reservations 2 to 4 weeks in advance. Our restaurants tend to fully book up year round, even worse once tourist season gets going. I live here and year round I make reservations at least 2 weeks in advance for restaurants in the historic district.

5. Re: 3-4 Days in Charleston--First Timers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 09, 2014