We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighborhood question - Wagener Terrace

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Neighborhood question - Wagener Terrace

On of the places we re looking at renting is in Wagener Terrace. I am not familiar with Charleston (this is our first trip) and we are traveling with a small child. Is this a safe neighborhood? Specifically the San Souci St area?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,995 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neighborhood question - Wagener Terrace

It's a nice neighborhood, but a long walk to the tourist spots. I'd look for something in the Historic District.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
995 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neighborhood question - Wagener Terrace

It's a very nice neighborhood, very residential, and not a place that you'd go out of your way to visit if you were coming for the history and restaurants.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neighborhood question - Wagener Terrace

Parts of San Souci St., are fine but others have not transitioned. I would stay in the Historical District not Downtown. It is near The Citadel.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neighborhood question - Wagener Terrace

The other house we are looking at is near the corner of King and Line St.

I know that is closer to the action, but it is also more expensive and doesn't accept dogs, so there would also be the added expense of boarding. How is that area? Worth the extra $$??

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neighborhood question - Wagener Terrace

No. That area is also a transitional neighborhood that I would not recommend at this time.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Neighborhood question - Wagener Terrace

San Souci Street in Wagener Terrace runs from Rutledge Avenue to an apartment complex on the Ashley River. It is residential, mostly owner-occupied, and very quiet. More convenient to drive to the historic district from Wagener Terrace than from West Ashley or Mount Pleasant. There's a very nice children's playground on Peachtree Street, and a dog park at Rutledge & Grove; yours will enjoy it if he's big (it gets too rough in there for small dogs).

King and Line Street is several blocks closer to the historic district but there will be lots of traffic and college student shenanigans. Say no to that.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neighborhood question - Wagener Terrace

Like I said, it both are transitional areas. Some blocks fine and others far from it. I have several friends that have moved into that area and one is moving due to gun shots being fired from their front porch one night by an unknown person. I would not recommend either neighborhood at this time.

8. Re: Neighborhood question - Wagener Terrace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 11, 2014