We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time from MYR airport to Charleston Waterfront Park?

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,295 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Driving time from MYR airport to Charleston Waterfront Park?

On Saturday morning I'll be driving from the Myrtle Beach airport to Charleston Waterfront Park. My GPS tells me it'll take 2 hours 20 minutes, but I know from experience that my GPS sometimes drives like a little old lady.

What can I really expect the drive time to be? When the speed lit is 65 I generally drive about 70 or a little over. And what about the return trip? My flight (same day) leaves a little after 9 p.m. Assuming I spend the afternoon in Charleston, about when should I leave to drive back to MYR?

On another thread I'll be asking about what to see and do during my single afternoon visit to Charleston.

THANKS!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time from MYR airport to Charleston Waterfront Park?

Keep the speed limit on 17. Ask me how I know! That state trooper was not amused when I told him I had just returned from Europe and got used to the Autobahn.

Your GPS is about right depending on traffic and if you include the time it will take to park. There's a garage right across from Waterfront Park.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,295 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time from MYR airport to Charleston Waterfront Park?

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply, from one Destination Expert to another!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving time from MYR airport to Charleston Waterfront Park?

Ohhhh yes! Do mind the speed limit! The time is almost to the minute correct. Do you intend to make any stops along the way?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving time from MYR airport to Charleston Waterfront Park?

The other thing you need to understand is the Myrtle Beach traffic. It's busy, especially on Saturday. You need to note your time on the way down so you can get back in time for your flight. I've never been to the Myrtle airport, so I can't help you with exact information.

What time are you flying in?

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,295 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving time from MYR airport to Charleston Waterfront Park?

Flight scheduled to arrive around 8 a.m.

I live at the Jersey Shore (Atlantic City). My son is doing a teen travel camp all summer, but it was interrupted by his participation in the Boy Scout Jamboree. He comes home from the Jamboree (from West Virginia) Wednesday night. After he gets a few nights sleep and several much needed showers, on early Saturday morning I'm flying with him to MYR, and then driving him to Charleston Waterfront Park, where his camp group will be from about 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.

Since my entire mission is to get him to his camp group, I won't be making any stops between MYR and Charleston.

I'm dropping him off I figure by 11 a.m., and then my time is my own; my flight leaves MYR a little after 9 p.m. that same day. I'm figuring that if I leave the Charleston area by 5 p.m. that should get me to the airport (including returning the rental car) roughly 90 minutes before the flight (I'll already have my boarding pass and I'll have no luggage).

So I'm trying to figure out how to spend my time between 11 a.m. in Charleston and about 7:15 p.m. at the Myrtle Beach airport. Since I live in a beach resort town, I think I'm going to completely ignore Myrtle Beach. But am I making a mistake with that?

I've never been to Charleston. I'm thinking of going to Fort Sumter, and I'm guessing that that and lunch will probably use up all my time.

But I'm EXTREMELY open to suggestions for activities. I like history. I like museums. Fort Sumter interests me because it's both, and it's an icon in American history. I don't want things I can get anywhere, like a zoo or a beach, I want something uniquely Charleston (or uniquely Myrtle Beach).

What do y'all think? I truly appreciate any guidance you can give me. I'm also praying for sunshine on Saturday because I rented a convertible!

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving time from MYR airport to Charleston Waterfront Park?

Unless you want putt putt, water parks, and beach stores... spend the free time in Charleston!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving time from MYR airport to Charleston Waterfront Park?

You are correct about Myrtle, and you may have traffic, as I said. I would't take the time to go out to Ft Sumter. You can see it from the park. Just walk down East Bay and through the Historic District. Eat a nice lunch at High Cotton. Avoid the touristy restaurants-you'll know how to spot them.

You might want to book a walking tour with Ed Grimball or Michael Trouche, if you want someone to tell you about what you are seeing.

Make time on your way back up to eat supper at the Seewee. Look for it on 17 as you drive down (The. Speed. Limit) I' looks like an old roadhouse because it is. They might have music. Get the shrimp.

Edited: 10:21 pm, July 22, 2013
Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,295 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving time from MYR airport to Charleston Waterfront Park?

And this is what makes TripAdvisor so great. THANKS!

[And thanks for saving me from those speeding tickets!]

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,295 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving time from MYR airport to Charleston Waterfront Park?

On summer Saturdays, Ed Grimball's only tour is at 9:30 a.m., a no go for me.

And Michael Trouche's Saturdays are only at 10:30 a.m., also a no go for me.

Any others you recommend???

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving time from MYR airport to Charleston Waterfront Park?

Charleston Sole Walking Tours--- Brian is great! He does a tour on Saturdays at 2pm. Drop your little one and have lunch---then go for a walk with Brian. www.charlestonsole.com --he's also got great reviews on here too. Also, the MYR airport is easy to park and navigate---so if you're carrying on your luggage, you should be good with just arriving just an hour before you scheduled flight. Traffic on Saturdays (regardless of the time... it's tourist season) is thick coming through Mt. Pleasant (we have a ton of stop lights!)...you'll be smooth sailing until you reach Pawley's Island...then you're back to stop light after stop light, until you reach the airport! Make sure you take 17 Bypass to the airport in MYR ... it will save you a ton of time. Enjoy your time in Charleston, even if it's just for 1 day!! You'll love it here!