We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bridge phobia

Elon, North Carolina
8 posts
Save Topic
Bridge phobia

I am heading to North Charleston and unfortunately have a HUGE bridge phobia. Any suggestions on routes that may direct me over smaller ones vs. the lengthy high ones? Any help GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bridge phobia

Once you are in North Charleston, where will you be wanting to go???

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bridge phobia

if you stay in North Charleston, then your not going to have to deal with any bridges other than small ones over a marsh here and there.

Why anyone would want to stay in North Charleston though....thats a million dollar question, ha!

Here's my take on the 2 "big" bridges, the Don Holt (526) can be scary, Its narrow and if traffic is slow you can feel the bridge bounce.

Ravenel (US17-I26) - This one is a big bridge but it doesn't even feel like a bridge, super wide, super stable and traffic generally flows fast and free on it (except for rush hours)

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bridge phobia

In order to give you route directions, we need to know where you want to go. Those 2 big bridges go into Mt Pleasant.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bridge phobia

From where will you be traveling? Where in North Charleston will you be headed? That can make a big difference in our directions.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bridge phobia

Yes, we do need to know your origin and destination points in order to advise on bridges.

My cousin has a huge bridge phobia. She absolutely would not travel over the old Cooper River bridge between Charleston and Mt Pleasant, but she has little problem at all with the new Arthur Ravenel Bridge.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,710 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bridge phobia

How will you be arriving? Driving? Flying?

North Charleston is not at all scenic and you will need to drive to the Historic District each day (if that is your goal ~ to see "Old Charleston"). The drive will be about 25 minutes and can be up to an hour or more if there is a fender bender or it is rush hour. If budget cost is your issue there are other hotels outside of the historic district that are less and are MUCH closer to the HD.

Elon, North Carolina
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bridge phobia

Thanks for all the replies! I have to stay in North Charleston because my husband is working at the Tanger Center. I will be coming from Myrtle Beach and I am thinking from here I will need to take the 526 and I have heard thats not good for bridge phobs like myself. So my route will be coming from Myrtle beach to the Tanger Center. Thanks again everyone

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,710 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bridge phobia

I suggest that you stay on Hwy 17 thru Mt. Pleasant until you get off onto Interstate I-26. You will have to go over the Ravenel Bridge, but it is by far the widest bridge, better than those on 526. It is wide (6 lanes, 3 each side) and mostly flat, not a high arch. At the end of the bridge you will fork off to the right to get on I-26 to North Charleston. Then you will get on 526 a short way to get to the exit for Tanger.

Edited: 12:20 pm, July 17, 2013
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bridge phobia

My husband has bridge phobia big time and doesn't have the slightest problem going over the new Ravenel Bridge. It's just like driving on a regular highway.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,739 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bridge phobia

I agree the Ravenel Bridge is not so bad, but there's a way to avoid all the big bridges. Learned it years ago as a way to Myrtle Beach without crossing the Cooper River.

From Myrtle Beach drive south to Georgetown, pick up US 521 to Andrews. At Andrews, south on Hiway 45 to Jamestown. Pick up US 17A toward Moncks Corner. From Moncks Corner, take US 52 south toward I26 and 526. You are in North Charleston.