We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Planning?

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland, California
Level Contributor
74 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Planning?

Hello folks--

My husband and I area planning a trip to the US SE for September 28-October 7--with the last couple of days spent with a friend in Baltimore. We're flying in and out of Reagan, and our thought is to spend 5 or so days in between Alexandria, VA and Savannah, Georgia--definitely hitting Charleston, and likely bypassing Washington DC. We are looking for recommendations for our itinerary in between. We love southern food (and are foodies of a sort), and history, and beachy things. Sweetie is excited by pirate history, and I'd like to see a Civil War battlefield somewhere along the way.

Any thoughts, my fellow Trip Advisors?

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Planning?

For things to do in Charleston, visit the Charleston Visitors Center website at http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/. Plenty of pirate & Civil War history in Charleston! Plus wonderful beaches & a foodie lover's dream city :)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,684 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Planning?

I think that is too much territory to try and cover in 5 days, you will spend all of it driving back and forth and very little actually seeing anything. You could easily spend 4 days in Charleston alone. I would suggest going no further south than Charleston, so that you will actually have a few days to visit places.

Just a small sampling of the things to see and do here....

www.historiccharleston.org

www.draytonhall.org

www.charlestonmuseum.org

www.patriotspoint.org

www.fireflyvodka.com

www.kayakcharleston.net

www.nature-tours.com

www.middletonplace.org

www.

Goose Creek, SC
Level Contributor
121 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Planning?

If you're into Civil War history, you MUST go to Ft. Sumter. It's a fun boat ride and you get to see where the war started.

RQT
New Castle...
Level Contributor
765 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Planning?

Here are a few Civil War sites you might check out: Petersburg, VA (see the crater); Battle of Williamsburg in Williamsburg (there are tours to go with this); Manassas, VA (first and second battles- ranger tours and self-guided tours); Appomattox Court House and the McClean House in Appomattox, VA-this one might be further afield than you want to go- self guided but with park rangers there; and Antietam in Maryland-self-guided with rangers available. Gettysburg, PA is not that far from Baltimore if you would like to check out the 150th anniversary of this battle-lots of tours available here, both self-guided and ranger led.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,624 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Planning?

Civil War-related sites are scattered throughout the area. In addition to Ft Sumter (where it all began), sites of interest in Charleston include Magnolia Cemetery, the CSS Hunley submarine, Ft Moultrie, and Middleton Place Plantation.

The town of Beaufort (on your route between Charleston and Savannah) has a fascinating Civil War history. If you stop in Beaufort, take a walking with Jon Sharp http://www.jonswalkinghistory.com/

For pirate history in Charleston, take Eric Lavender's tour - https://charlestonpiratetour.com/

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,914 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Planning?

I agree that the time you have will not allow you to really see and tour all you want within the timeframe. It is about an 8-9 hour drive (pushing it and avoiding rush hours) from Arlington, VA to Charleston. I would allow 3 days minimum for Charleston.

For a battleground, I would go to Manassas or Gettysburg. It will take at least 3-4 hours. Richmond, VA is on the way and has several very good museums. Their visitors bureau was very good and helpful the several times I went there. You might check to see if they still have a pass you purchase that allows free entry for 1 day into the museums.

The Heritage Passport in Charleston may be purchased at the Visitors Center (weblink posted by a previous poster) that allows entry into many of the "must do" things in and around Charleston. When touring Middleton Place be sure to ask to add the house tour.

7. Re: Itinerary Planning?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 13, 2014