We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach Near Charleston???

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Beach Near Charleston???

Hello! We are planning to stay in downtown Charleston for a few days and are looking to take a day trip to the beach. What beach would be a good spot to day trip? We are looking for something low key, but nice.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
495 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best Beach Near Charleston???

I'd like to come out in support of the DEs. They answer the same questions again and again with friendliness, I would have gone mental by now! It's not like they are sending questioners off to Google! They are suggesting reading some research they have already completed and then coming back with additional questions. We aren't DE customers, they are volunteers, they owe us nothing but still give their time to help us plan our holidays.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best Beach Near Charleston???

Thanks for the kind words! :-)

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best Beach Near Charleston???

Thanks so much LTT, many folks think we are paid to do what we do and no, we just do it trying to help people get the most for their hard earned $$$.

We are lucky enough to live here all the time and we want to see that those who are coming for just a short visit see what is important to them and their wants/needs, specifically.

You are understanding totally why we do what we do, everyone has to start somewhere.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best Beach Near Charleston???

We also use TA when we travel. I have gotten great info on other cities. Often I don't even have to ask a question ~ just read over the Top Questions and other Forum posts and find nearly everything I need. Then I can ask rather specific questions if I need to. It is frustrating for us if someone can't be bothered to do any research at all on their own and expect us to plan their trip for them. We don't know the person ~ how can we possibly tell them what they will like??

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best Beach Near Charleston???

We recently did a big trip out of the country and I asked one specific question of the TA folks, everything else I needed was already there.

We had a great trip, thanks to TA and Rick Steves books...I found restaurants, tour guides, learned about the best deals on museums, galleries, churches, etc. All I had to do was take a little time and do a little reading.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best Beach Near Charleston???

Goodness. What does post count have to do with it?

There's an interesting post on the NYC forum discussing why people don't read first, post second.

kb, I did the same thing when I went to Europe for two months for work. I read everything on this forum I could. That's what makes it so great.

As far as "best" anything goes, I can only say what's best for me. I always went to Sullivans just because it was so close.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best Beach Near Charleston???

I am biased, but I like Folly Beach the best. It is funky, eclectic, and sprawling. Sometimes there is good surfing, sometimes there are drunks, sometimes there are dolphins. Sullivans Island is very nice, but very rich and snooty, Same goes for IOP. Kiawah has a public beach that is really good for finding beach treasures and is very family friendly, although a teen got attacked by a shark there a couple weeks ago...

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best Beach Near Charleston???

Folly Beach imo is the one I recommend.

Goose Creek, SC
Level Contributor
121 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best Beach Near Charleston???

For laid back/local vibe, go to Folly Beach. For family, go to Isle of Palms. For a mix, go to Sullivans Island. If you choose Folly or IOP, go early, because traffic gets really bad going out at times, more so on Folly though.

20. Re: Best Beach Near Charleston???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 12, 2014