OK here it goes TA DE's...I put together a nice 8 night trip down to Charleston for our 2 year anniversary...let me know if this was too ambitious...also any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! *I am looking for the perfect balance of sightseeing and relaxation.*
Day 1...leave NJ and head to Raleigh, NC - catch a Durham Bulls game on 7/4/13
Day 2...While in Raleigh visit UNC and Duke...leave Raleigh and head to West Ashley. Staying at a Hampton Inn. Check in and head to Red's ICe House for a casual bite to eat while watching the sunset. If time...a cup of awesome cappuccino at Kudu before heading back to West Ashley.
Day 3...go to Sunflower Cafe for breakfast before visiting Middleton Place. Depart from MP and head to Church Ruins before going to Beaufort. Walk around Beaufort, have lunch (great lunch reccs please) and then a quick stop at Parris Island to see the Marines! Head back to West Ashley (dinner & evening plans are not set...any reccs?)
Day 4...Head to Kiawah Island for a full day of golf and spa action. Tee time is for 10:00 a.m. We plan on enjoying the resort for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and then heading back to West Ashley after dinner.
Day 5...OUR ANNIVERSARY...start off the day with breakfast at Hominy Hill...carriage ride afterwards...Boone Hall Plantation...Poe's Tavern while visiting Sullivan's Island then a quick stop at Fort Moultrie. On the way back a 45 min audio tour at the Aiken-Rhett House. Rest up for dinner at Hall's Chophouse then drinks on the rooftop bar where we are staying (Vendue Inn). TOO MUCH? I don't know...
Day 6...Breakfast at TOAST...then off to Fort Sumter. After tour walk through Waterfront Park and Rainbow Row then time for lunch at Cru Cafe. Maybe some shopping at the Market and King Street then rest up for dinner at The Peninsula. CAN WE DO MORE? or is is the right balance?
Day 7...Breakfast (any suggestions?) Possibly shop...Lunch at Slightly North of Broad (or should we have dinner here?). Maybe visit some pubs (The Blind Tiger / The Griffin) and then dinner at Magnolia's.
Day 8..departing Charleston but would like to see Magnolia Cemetery and maybe have lunch at the Tattooed Moose before heading to Richmond for the night.
1. We would like to go to a few local breweries (Palmetto / Holy City / Coast) is it worth it? Can we get a good taste just from visiting Griffins?
2. Do we get a good sense of the city's history from a 1-hour carriage tour? Since we are visiting in mid-July and the weather will probably be uncomfortable, we do not think a 3-hour walking tour is in the cards...especially when we will be tasting many different types of spirits along the way.
3. Should we squeeze in a ghost tour or pub tour?
4. What should we add, eliminate, reconsider...
5. We are foodies...please let me know if we should not miss an excellent breakfast, lunch, or dinner spot...any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks TA yet again!